Sign in to follow this  
Guest RSmith

Why I will replace FS2002 with FS2004 ...

Folks,As more people purchase, install, and learn of the good (and a very few bad/ugly areas) about FS2004, there will some that will stay with FS2002 and others who will jump to FS2004.I've been playing with FS2004 for only about 4 hours or so. In that short time and while reading several posts about issues with FS2004, I've come to realize that overall, FS2004 will be the sim to switch to (for me). I have not, and WILL NOT replace FS2002 just yet. There are a few utilities (especially Active Camera) that I've come to use so often during flying, that I "need" them. Eventually, I'll remove FS2002.My point - despite the fact that some minor problems have been uncovered (and there will no doubt be more), --OVERALL-- FS2004 issuperior to FS2002 (IMHO). I like all types of A/C and all types of weather, scenery, etc. I fly some 2 hour flights in the "big iron" and enjoy VFR flying over detailed scenery areas. FS2004 has been improved in almost all areas over FS2002 - weather, ATC, minor flight dynamic updates, night lighting, clouds, etc.Some have complained that the BETA testers said that FS2004 was optimized to the point that you would experience about the same FPS as FS2002 for a similar scenario. I think this is the key. For me, I was expecting the same FPS with MORE eye candy that FS2004 offers. Well, Microsoft gave us what we wanted (for the future), more capabilities, more eye candy, but for a price. You'll need a higher end system to experience the FULL (all sliders to the right) experience. However, folks like Chris Willis and Geof A. (BETA testers) have explained that you --will-- need to adjust the sliders for some systems. In fact, Microsoft gave us the game that will provide a better experience as some people upgrade or purchase newer systems in the next year or so. For me, I can't afford a new system soon. But, I can adjust the sliders to meet my flying demands depending on the type of scenario I fly. This is no different that FS2002. In FS2004, depending on all the various slider settings I choose, I've experienced FPS values from 6 to mid 20's. That's a wide range - but, I've flown a few scenarios with extreme slider settings and cityscape intensity, and others with maxed clouds, weather, and ATC.Bottom line, you can "grow into" this version - FS2004. I'd rather Microsoft gave us a new version that pushes today's average hardware limits than provide a less robust, less feature rich version that flies great on current hardware. Eventually, when more people purchase a new computer, I think most would feel better that FS2004 was "optimized" for higher performance systems than "reduced" to lower CPU systems - only to see the FPS displayed at 35/50/75 ....We've only started using FS2004 for less than one week. There's so much to learn and enjoy - just like we did with FS2002. At first, I was slightly disappointed with my FPS values. However, after some video card tweaks, slider tweaks, etc. I found flying the Real AirSF260 in Miami, nice cloud coverage, at dusk with no precipitation (but I enabled lighting by choosing thunderstorms) to be so "real" and enjoyable - a far superior experience than FS2002.JerryGP.S. Remember how long we discussed the FS2002 "blurries" (and still do!) and the various .cfg and video card adjustments made to maximize the clarity and FPS? Remember all the new utilities that we built for FS2002? We've just started with FS2004. It can be as fun and enjoyable as we make it. And - there's NOTHING wrong with staying with FS2002 - it's not a right or wrong issue - it's what you enjoy!P4 1.7 CPU768MB RAMGeForceFX 5200 128MB RAMFor NVidia video card issues, read these posts -http://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=sho...26302&mode=fullhttp://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=sho...25943&mode=full

Guest RSmith

Jerry, well said, but:ATC problems - are they system related - or an internal software defect ? Don't mind the minor "adjustment" issues, or slower frames compared to 2k2, but ATC & alternative r/w selection - then wrong vectoring ??? .... distant visual problems (mtns.), and the clouds not recognizing a "base elevation"...... is this a system issue, or an oversight.... ?? ATI card issues, well OK. I'll wait for driver updates..... Did any beta members have ATI cards ..... think so. Inaccurate post - or problem not consistent ?? COF, however, may wait until I see these drivers out & tested.....Have always been a "true-blue" MS fan. Guess the posts over last 24 hrs. have caused me some doubt, especially regarding basic new features possibly not working 80-90%. Agree - over time, we all seem to adjust, tweak, and improve new releases. However, this time, guess I'm still on fence. Was truly looking forward to COF, but if "my" favorite features aren't up to par (yet), I may (1st time) stick to existing version - see what develops over time.P4 2.8Asus P4PE1 meg. PC2700 DDR SDRAMATI 9700 128Audigy