Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Any way to change unrealistic ATC control center names in FS2002/2004?

For example, Naha Center in Okinawa Japan is actually Naha Control in real life. Also, I believe in Japan they use the term Radar like in Narita Radar. In FS2002/2004 they call it Naha AFB Center which is unrealistic.Also, what's unrealistic is say, when taking off/landing at London Heathrow (LHR/EGLL), they hand you off to some random approach control two or three times before you actually get to contact London Center or Heathrow Approach.Isn't this a bit weird? Any way to change this, and why does FS ATC make you contact these nonexistent or wrongly named centers?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Depends on where you are flying. Airspace is very complex and owned by different people depending on where you are and how high you are.My understanding is that MS uses a world wide database-and from what I have seen it is fairly accurate with some limitations.For instance-where I live-in reality I can take off from kfnt and fly across the state of Michigan and as long as 10,000 ft. or so low will not talk to a center but will instead talk to terminal approach controls on the way (Lansing Approach, Grand Rapids Approach, Muskegon approach). If I head directly north to Saginaw I will also be handled by Saginaw approach (trsa)-go a little further north though and I will now be in Minneapolis centers space-even low down (although there radar has a hard time picking up if 3000ft. or under) ! Go up high in other areas and it will be Cleveland Center-just depends on who owns what and where. If I fly east of my airport-about 20 or so miles from the Canada border Selfridge AFB controls-until about 10 miles into Canada-then London approach takes over-then Toronto Center.As for the names-it is a tedious process to speak and record the names of every facility in the world. Therefore again, I would expect a few errors ,some awkward pronunciation, and a compromise-for instance instead of recording a seperate Flint Approach, and Flint Departure-they pick departure only (halves the recording time).Like everything that relies on a database-I am sure there are some errors somewhere. The part I find awkward-is that when practicing instrument approaches you may be handed off to another airpspace while on the approach when approaching a boundry ,rather than staying with the local controller-this happens when fs detects you have crossed that boundry.I can't speak directly to your particulars as I am not familiar with those parts of the worlds-perhaps you can find a chart of who owns what there and compare.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg