Sign in to follow this  
terrypin

Getting into Autopilot mode?

Sorry, you've lost me napamule! What is this 'JOY'S twist (RUDDER control)' you mention? Also, by ''slider'? do you mean 'wheel'? I only have one variable control on my joystick (apart from the stick itself, which controls X and Y axes) and that's the wheel. The one you showed yourself in your picture in post #23. Previously I've had the rudder assigned to it, as shown in my screenshots, which works in both Slew and Fly modes. For the latter, I've now changed that to the throttle, as per your recommendation, to try it out as an alternative to using F1-F4.I still don't follow that. Why would I want to 'wedge' the wheel? As already discussed, I suspect its mechanics or potentiometer is flakey, and that's the cause of the unstable rotation in slew mode. But I just hit Numpad 5 to freeze it now.But I've just changed the Z-axis to Throttle, as you recommend, so how can I control Rudder with the joystick as well? Or are you talking about the Keyboard Sensitivity section (although that doesn't have any nulls)?
Somehow napamule seems to think your joystick also has a rudder option, but as far as I can tell it doesn't have that, so you can forget all the said about the rudder and twisting the stick or whatever. Some joysticks have the possibility to twist the stick like this:JoystickControls_small.jpgSo instead of pushing it left or right you can also turn the stick itself clockwise and counterclockwise. It's a bit hard to explain. ;) But your stick doesn't have that option.

Somehow napamule seems to think your joystick also has a rudder option, but as far as I can tell it doesn't have that, so you can forget all the said about the rudder and twisting the stick or whatever. Some joysticks have the possibility to twist the stick like this:JoystickControls_small.jpgSo instead of pushing it left or right you can also turn the stick itself clockwise and counterclockwise. It's a bit hard to explain. ;) But your stick doesn't have that option.
Thanks for clearing that up, Jeroen. That's what I suspected, but I was baffled because napamule had already posted an annotated picture of the Speedlink - with no rudder control!--Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Guest napamule

terrypin,Wow. I was thinking your joy had twist grip (for rudder). So I see now. Well the only thing to do is get a joystick with 'twist grip' which would solve your problem(s). Those sticks without 'twist grip' you can buy at the 2nd hand store for $2.99 (and that is an inflated price). Sorry to confuse you. Can't help you, then.When you do get a twist grip joy, you will STILL be able to use the F1-F4 keys, and the numpad keys for slewing, and also the joystick for slewing (including 'rotation' by use of the twist grip). And you can then fly airplanes and be able to control the rudder for 'normal' flight. Joysticks run around $40 (up to $99 for MS Sidewinder). I've had my Sidewinder for 5 yrs, and used it daily, and it still works 'as new' (hint-hint). Good luck. CBNapamule

terrypin,Wow. I was thinking your joy had twist grip (for rudder). So I see now. Well the only thing to do is get a joystick with 'twist grip' which would solve your problem(s). Those sticks without 'twist grip' you can buy at the 2nd hand store for $2.99 (and that is an inflated price). Sorry to confuse you. Can't help you, then.When you do get a twist grip joy, you will STILL be able to use the F1-F4 keys, and the numpad keys for slewing, and also the joystick for slewing (including 'rotation' by use of the twist grip). And you can then fly airplanes and be able to control the rudder for 'normal' flight. Joysticks run around $40 (up to $99 for MS Sidewinder). I've had my Sidewinder for 5 yrs, and used it daily, and it still works 'as new' (hint-hint). Good luck. CBNapamule
Thanks napamule. I have a birthday coming up so ...--Terry, East Grinstead, UK