Sign in to follow this  
HyperionXL

New FSX PC Being Built

I just bought all the parts I'll need for my i7 920 FSX gaming rig.I also bought two hard drives - an OCZ 60 GB SSD HD and a 300 GB Velociraptor 10k RPM HD.I've heard some people say install FSX on the SSD, but then I've heard people say it would do better on the Raptor.So whats the final conclusion on this? Obviously I'll have Windows on the SSD, but will FSX be a better runner on there as well?Other PC Stats (just in case they're neccessary)i7-920 @ 2.66 (plan to over clock to 4.0+)Gigabyte X58A-UD7 MoboATi Powercolor 5870 1 GB GPU (considering buying a second or a 5970 (although I know FSX doesn't gain any improvement while running in Crossfire)12 GB G-Skill Ripsaw Ram @ 2000 MHz (yes I know I have to OC to get there)Antec 1200 CaseThermaltake Venemous X HeatsinkLots of Fans... lots...

I'd put it on the 60GB ssd personally. You'll benefit from faster load times and texture loading.Be advised...60gb is a bit small for a full FSX addon install.... But to start I'd put it on there anyway

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Some info in this thread: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=275688Read the post by Bob Scott.If you search the forum you'll find several threads about SSD and FSX.I use a VRaptor for FSX. If I would build a new pc I sure would use the Intel X-25M SSDs instead for the OS and FSX.
I guess that solves my issues then! Thanks for the quick responses.So would loading Windows and FSX on my single SSD have a (high) detrimental effect? I realize if it's not organized it might have some problems, but I try to defrag atleast once a day/week to minimize that.Would it decrease load times if I bought a second SSD to load it all on to? I don't use that many add-ons besides the generally recommended texture/scenery type packages (GEX, UTX, REX 2.0, FSPassengers, AirHauler, some Regional based city packages (Kai Tak, Manhattan X, etc)) Seems like that'd all fit on the 60 GB drive though, I believe. I'm checking the backup drive I keep all my FSX addons in and it only totals up to about 20 GB, probably expands to 30 GB on installation. Pretty sure I should be good unless I decide to buy a lot more to play with.I'm probably answering my own questions now... ramble ramble ramble...