Sign in to follow this  
Guest DannyBoy

Crash to Desktop UH-OH

Well I had my first Crash to Desktop with flight simulator since FS2000 or at least as long as I can remember.Flying the default 737 with default ATC and default Weather had an error with "symmap.dll" its in the modules directory.This is starting to worry me now. FS2002 was so stable without ever crashing and now just a week into FS2004 and already a crash to desktop.I'll write it off as maybe an error somewhere on my part. Next time I'll do a clean boot and try the flight see if it still crashes.If anybody might know what that file does I'd like to know.SeanP4 2.53512 megTI 4400

I believe it is part of the GPS symbology. If you get this error and have a Send/Don't Send to Microsoft, please send the report. You can also view what will be sent, by clicking on the blue details area.W. Sieffert

Guest CargoMun

Funny I had my first ones with FS9 last night. First time trying out real weather download (that should teach me a lesson) and module weather.dll was the culprit.Later on got another one this time while flying i went to the sound options to turn up the ATC and screen just went black and program stopped responding. :-rollBy far its not even close to the amount of times i got error sending report crash in FS.. Fs2002 about 1 out of 5 flights i do ends up with a kernel error in "acgeneral.dll"

Guest DannyBoy

SeanI found a review by Andrew Herd at flightsim.com here is the part about desktop crashes:"Scenery is something else. We still live with a generation of FS2000 sceneries that haven't been upgraded to suit FS2002 and the situation with FS2004 appears to be much worse. In extreme cases, scenery can cause an immediate crash to desktop (CTD), in much the same way as some aircraft add-ons do. Lago's Emma Field is a good example of an add-on that behaves like this, apparently because of incompatible dll files. Other sceneries appear to load OK, but don't show up and yet others do load, but with strange effects, missing objects, or such low frame rates that they are effectively unusable; but the most common problem is that sceneries don't appear. Why this should be so isn't clear, but the trouble seems to be pretty widespread and accounts for why you don't see any screen shots - but the good news is that texture based packages do seem to work and I managed to load the UK VFR Photographic Scenery without any trouble at all."FS2004 comes with DirectX 9.0 there is an updated version, directX 9.0b.Hope these help.Danny