Sign in to follow this  
CharlieZ

FS9 Rocks!!!

Guest nutmeat

Had it since Saturday but was only able to update my GoFlight system today. Made a controlled approach into KRNO with two active runways. Tower cleared a 747 to the right runway, my Baron to the left; cautioned my that the Heavy was also on final. There were also 3 other a/c in the pattern. As I turned from base to final, there was the "biggy", pretty as you please. We both landed, turned off the runway and turned over to ground control. Ground control had me halt in place while a Dash-8 landed on the right active. Great smoke effects on his touchdown.One problem...the Dash-8 turned into the same taxiway as I was waiting on and there we stood, face to face with neither one of us able to move.All of this using 50% Air traffic, sliders maxed for scenery, frames locked at the default 20. Frames never dropped below 19.3 on an Athlon 2000XP, TI6400 card, NVIDIA 44.03 drivers, DirectX 9.0a, 512 RAM and with Hi-Res SRTM mesh.Ran a test yesterday in the SF Bay area (also Hi-Res mesh) in the J-3 Cub (fun plane). Even with all of the high detail scenery, frames stayed between 19.2 and 20 with no stutters; again 50% AI traffic. I've not seen any of the problems people have been reporting except the save of the default flight with the Carenado 210. The next startup crashed the sim to the desktop. When I removed the default files, sim started OK and I created a new default with the default Baron and the problem went away.You've got to enjoy this release for the many improvements made but, like its predecessor, it does require some tweaking for max performance.Larry ShinnP.S. My visuals are wonderfully sharp, textures look very good, especially in the mountains; almost 3D looking on a Samsung LCD 19" monitor in digital mode.

I've only been flying FS9 for a few hours now, but I fully agree with you. I had no real problems to speak of loading or flying in it right out of the box, save the documented flickering problem with ATI cards, and that's more of an annoyance than anything. This sim looks real! I love the new atmospherics, clouds, lighting, the whole weather package! And my frame rates, even with most sliders set on or near their highest, have been consistent and fluid. I'm very very happy with this purchase and with the new addition to my favorite hobby. BTW, I'm just blown away with the new enhancements to the VC. The gauges are now very sharp and readable and their movement is very smooth, unlike the jerky refresh rates we got in FS2002. It's a worthy upgrade if you have the machine for it, and I guess I do!Okay, off to fly again.... :D

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

I have been flying this new sim for the past four hours. Once I had programed all the buttons on my AETI yoke and programed all the settings, it was pure heaven to fly this sim. I took off from Seattle in a rainstorm and flew to Portland in the Baron. Beatiful flight all the way with no problems. I'm lucky to not have experienced any problems as yet. I'm so glad I am retired and can fly whenever I want. Life is sweet!