Sign in to follow this  
JimVT

can't find fly now/won't save flight plans

Finally got FSX and installed.First screen has the light a/c.I use "flight planner" to set up several flights from KBTV to nearby A/Ps.FSX will save the flights in "My Documents" but not in the one tied to the "load" button.I can't find the "fly now" button anywhere when trying to fly.What's going on?Any help appreciated

Guest UlfB
First screen has the light a/c.
What is your "first screen"? If it's the Free Flight screen, the picture shows the default flight. Anything wrong with that?Below the a/c preview picture there should be a button labeled Fly now.
I use "flight planner" to set up several flights from KBTV to nearby A/Ps.FSX will save the flights in "My Documents" but not in the one tied to the "load" button.I can't find the "fly now" button anywhere when trying to fly.What's going on?
FSX should by default save the flights in the folder ...\Documents\Flight Simulator X Filesand the load button should list files in the same folder.If you mean that you save a flight plan, the default location is still ...\Documents\Flight Simulator X FilesIf you want to load a saved flight plan you should go into the flight planner screen in FSX and then click the Load button in that screen. There is no "fly now" button when loading a flight plan. Just load the flight plan. You'll get an option to relocate your a/c to the departure airport when loading the plan. If you loaded an IFR plan, contact the tower to file your plan and go ahead and fly!If this doesn't help, I'd suggest that you post a picture describing your problem.Edited: Beat J van E this time :(

Finally got FSX and installed.First screen has the light a/c.I use "flight planner" to set up several flights from KBTV to nearby A/Ps.FSX will save the flights in "My Documents" but not in the one tied to the "load" button.I can't find the "fly now" button anywhere when trying to fly.What's going on?Any help appreciated
Not totally sure where things go wrong, but here's the deal: when you see the light a/c (in the menu called Free flight), go to the Flight planner. There you can create, save and load flightplans. When you have created or loaded a flightplan on that page, press OK at the bottom right. Now you will be back at the screen with the light a/c. The Fly now button is on THAT screen, at the right bottom. There is no Fly now button in the planner itself. The planner is a sub-window, just like for instance the 4 Current... options on the Free flight page, or the Fuel and payload or Failure options. And btw the load button you also see on that Free flight screen can't load flightplans, it can only load saved flights, which is something different!Hope this helps. If not, let us know. :(EDIT:Ah, UlfB typed faster.... or began typing earlier than I did. :(

What is your "first screen"? If it's the Free Flight screen, the picture shows the default flight. Anything wrong with that?Below the a/c preview picture there should be a button labeled Fly now.FSX should by default save the flights in the folder ...\Documents\Flight Simulator X Filesand the load button should list files in the same folder.If you mean that you save a flight plan, the default location is still ...\Documents\Flight Simulator X FilesIf you want to load a saved flight plan you should go into the flight planner screen in FSX and then click the Load button in that screen. There is no "fly now" button when loading a flight plan. Just load the flight plan. You'll get an option to relocate your a/c to the departure airport when loading the plan. If you loaded an IFR plan, contact the tower to file your plan and go ahead and fly!If this doesn't help, I'd suggest that you post a picture describing your problem.Edited: Beat J van E this time :(
OK that seems simple enough but when click the load button I go to "Load Flight" page and NONE of the saved flights are there and the Fly Now button is shaded out!

Guest UlfB
OK that seems simple enough but when click the load button I go to "Load Flight" page and NONE of the saved flights are there and the Fly Now button is shaded out!
That's odd.But you said that you saved flight plans. A flight plan is not the same as a saved flight. If youv'e loaded a flight, for example the default flight and saves that flight, it should show up in the list.Saved flight plans will only show up in the Flight Planner when you load a previously saved plan.Edited: Wow - beat J van E once again. That made my day :( Edited by UlfB

None of the saved flights are there because you didn't save FLIGHTS but you saved FLIGHTPLANS! The load button on the Free flight menu will let you load FLIGHTS (a file that saved everything you can set on the Free flight menu: which aircraft, which weather, which flightplan, etc. etc. all in one saved file), while the load button on the Flight planner window let's you load only flightPLANS!So, go to the Flight planner, load the flightPLAN you want to fly, press OK and when you are back at the Free flight window, press Fly now!EDIT:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, not again, Ulf B! Get outta here! :(The Orbx forum has a 'a message has been posted while you were typing' warning. I could use that here. :(

None of the saved flights are there because you didn't save FLIGHTS but you saved FLIGHTPLANS! The load button on the Free flight menu will let you load FLIGHTS (a file that saved everything you can set on the Free flight menu: which aircraft, which weather, which flightplan, etc. etc. all in one saved file), while the load button on the Flight planner window let's you load only flightPLANS!So, go to the Flight planner, load the flightPLAN you want to fly, press OK and when you are back at the Free flight window, press Fly now!EDIT:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, not again, Ulf B! Get outta here! :(The Orbx forum has a 'a message has been posted while you were typing' warning. I could use that here. :(
Ok...thanks all for the responses.I don't know if I'm stupid or what......but.....I followed your last line instructions....and......up comes a screen - "Do you want FS to................ go to the airport.........."If I click Yes I go back to the light a/c page...........If I click NO.....same thing!

Ok...thanks all for the responses.I don't know if I'm stupid or what......but.....I followed your last line instructions....and......up comes a screen - "Do you want FS to................ go to the airport.........."If I click Yes I go back to the light a/c page...........If I click NO.....same thing!
LOL We are getting close! :)By default your aircraft will be on a specific airport (see '2 Current location' on the Free flight screen). When you plan a flight with the flightplanner there is a big change you will want to start on another airport. When you get that message 'Do you want FS to...' and you press yes, then your aircraft will be positioned on your departure airfield, the one you selected while planning the flight, which is what you usually want (you will now see that departure airport at '2 Current location'). When you get that message and press no, then your aircraft will stay where it is (in this case the default airport, see '2 Current location again: it will still be the same airport as it was before you planned a flight) which is not what you want, at least not right now. (It's a usefull option though, but let's not get into that now.) BOTH choices will bring you back to the Free flight menu with the light a/c!So press YES when you get that message and then Fly now: your aircraft will be on the departure airfield, ready for take off!

Guest UlfB

Jeroen,I deliberately waited for your answer :( Hope you feel better now :(

Jeroen,I deliberately waited for your answer :( Hope you feel better now :(
LOL!!! :( Thank you, thank you! Hope I gave the right answer! B)

Guest UlfB

JimVT,Have a look at the FSX Learning Center. There is a lot of information on how to use the Flight Planner there.

LOL We are getting close! :)By default your aircraft will be on a specific airport (see '2 Current location' on the Free flight screen). When you plan a flight with the flightplanner there is a big change you will want to start on another airport. When you get that message 'Do you want FS to...' and you press yes, then your aircraft will be positioned on your departure airfield, the one you selected while planning the flight, which is what you usually want (you will now see that departure airport at '2 Current location'). When you get that message and press no, then your aircraft will stay where it is (in this case the default airport, see '2 Current location again: it will still be the same airport as it was before you planned a flight) which is not what you want, at least not right now. (It's a usefull option though, but let's not get into that now.) BOTH choices will bring you back to the Free flight menu with the light a/c!So press YES when you get that message and then Fly now: your aircraft will be on the departure airfield, ready for take off!
Repeat:If I click Yes I go back to the light a/c page...........If I click NO.....same thing! and Fly Now is nowhere to be seen!

Guest UlfB
Repeat:If I click Yes I go back to the light a/c page...........If I click NO.....same thing! and Fly Now is nowhere to be seen!
After loading the plan you should click OK. You would then return to the free flight screen. Below the picture there is a fly now button. Right? Click that button and the flight will load at the departure airport. Open your map or GPS and the plan will be there. Right?

After loading the plan you should click OK. You would then return to the free flight screen. Below the picture there is a fly now button. Right? Click that button and the flight will load at the departure airport. Open your map or GPS and the plan will be there. Right?
I guess I've got some weird glitch going on here.BTW..I can't get the Free Flight page to go full screen so maybe that's why I can't see the fly now button.I have six flight plans (through Flight Planner) that got saved in (A) My Doc....FX Flight Plans...etc and NONE in the (:( LOAD FLIGHT page.I guess I gotta figure out how to get the A plans in B.I'll go check out the Learning Center again.Thanks all for your interest