Sign in to follow this  
Guest jase439

How to Get Low Impact 3D Clouds...

Guest jase439

After a couple nights of dabbling, I discovered that the severe frame rate punishment you get from the 3D clouds is a byproduct of doing FSAA on them. I disabled FSAA in the driver and in the sim, and I've gone from running at 5 fps in full overcast with storms, to about 20.The anti-aliasing certainly helps with the scenery, but it's a performance killer when using it together with 3D clouds.J(FSAA 4x and No FSAA pix attached)

Guest jase439

Unforutunately, very bad things happen when I try 2x AA :( GeForce 4, Ti4400 w/ 44.67's. No FSAA and 4x appear to be the only viable options.Does anyone have a version of the Detonator driver that handles AA 2x correctly?

Here was my logic and I'm getting jaw-dropping results -1. FSAA and AF are working too hard2. FSAA, MIPMAP and AF creating a lot of shimmer etc3. 3D Clouds were crunching me down esp. in fogSo I know this isn't original, but it is stunning in results -I turned OFF ALL FSAA and AF via my (nvidia) driver console,I turned good old trilinear on internal to FS2004, and mostcritically I went to window mode after setting my resolutionat desktop to as high as it could go on my monitor (1600xsomething).When I did this, and went flying, I nearly fell off my chair -superb scenery, minimal shimmer, totally OK performance in complex 3D cloud/fog situations with all settings maxed outhope something here works for you too - I don't pretend to be an expert, and this is the 1000th configuration I've triedin the last 24 hours to get good cloud performance - it reallyworks on my system (2.4MH, FX5900, 512MB)I realise my recent FX5900 may be helping, but the logic ofraising resolution and dumping expensive filtering seems to create great results heregood flying,Dominic

Guest jase439

Yeah, I tried going to 1600x1200x32 last night instead (leaving FSAA completely off) and I got jaw-dropping results. I was still hitting 25-30 fps solid - even in overcast.