Sign in to follow this  
HyperionXL

FSX, 3 monitors, 1 ATi 5870, 1 Nvidia 8800GT

I've got an old 8800 GT lying around from my old PC. I was gonna try and hunt down an active display port adapter, but I couldn't find one the last time I went shopping for one here in Thailand. I have 2 monitors setup with eyefinity, and my third monitor won't work on it without that active DP adapter.So, from my research, I've found that you can use both nvidia and ati card together... the ati being the main graphics processor while the nvidia deals with Physx.. While I'm sure this will have no fps benefit to the game, I'm just hoping it will work together for me so I can use up to 4 monitors without having to hunt down a fairly rare DP adapter that no one seems to carry here.Again, this will have no positive effect on gaming performance, but should enable me to easily add another monitor or two.I'll let everyone here know how it goes and if it works.

There's no problem using both ATI and Nvidia cards in the same computer but you won't be able to use them to simulate a single large screen like with Eyefinity. To use 3 monitors in an Eyefinity setup you'll need the active DP adapter (or a DP monitor). You can however use the extra monitors as indepentent screens (regular extended desktop). I use a 5870 in an Eyefinity setup, and an older Nvidia card to display panels and such on a separate monitor. It works very well. As usual, the more stuff you display the more processing power is required so don't count on the secondary graphics card to improve the performance.

There's no problem using both ATI and Nvidia cards in the same computer but you won't be able to use them to simulate a single large screen like with Eyefinity. To use 3 monitors in an Eyefinity setup you'll need the active DP adapter (or a DP monitor). You can however use the extra monitors as indepentent screens (regular extended desktop). I use a 5870 in an Eyefinity setup, and an older Nvidia card to display panels and such on a separate monitor. It works very well. As usual, the more stuff you display the more processing power is required so don't count on the secondary graphics card to improve the performance.
This is exactly what I wanted to do. Two for the VC on eyefinity, 1 on nvidia.Just had a look at my PSU... doesn't have enough outlets for a second GPU... so I'm headed off to get a new one. It was too small, too (only 600w for my pretty big setup). Might see if I can find a GTX 285, as well, and do some performance split tests using the two cards as above. Nvidia apparently performs better anyways. I'd wait for the 480, but those won't come to Thailand for a while. I don't even think Thailand got the 285s, as well. Best I can find is the 250. Seems Thai's found more bang for the buck in ATI's selection of GPUs.

Got everything working great.Installed a 1000w Antec PSU and a Creative Fatality Sound card. Running VC across two monitors (Widescreen set to false in the CFG... eats too many frames, I was able to get around 13-15 FPS with full 100% traffic (with trafficX), extreme autogen settings and medx2 water. Opened a few instrument panels, gps, and atc on the third monitor, as well. With traffic off, steady at around 20 - 25. FPS seemed a little low and there was some shuddering so I'll have to figure that out.It does work, and does a decent job!Also bought the G19 gaming keyboard. Should be great with the macro buttons on the left to perform some tasks in the cockpit!