Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Help! with DirectX 9.0 in FS 2004

I just installed FS2004 fine on my DELL P4 (Ti4600 card, nVidia 41.09 drivers) and the sim works -- well, kind of. I think that the installation of the default DirectX9.0 that came with FS2004 has unsettled something, because I fail the DirectX DirectDraw tests and in the sim, I get all kinds of minor weird quirks such as incomplete menu bars, black bits of screen while trying to access the dropdown menus, etc. Starting the sim is wild too, because it calls for CD-ROM Disk 4 and then hiccups into the start screen.The sim itself does work and I've managed to set the DISPLAY parameters too. I just flew around SeaTac in the Cessna with everything almost maxed to the right except for clouds and it looked excellent at 18 to 20 fps. But then I got a giant system crash I've never ever seen before and the usual rubbish about Do you want to contact MS? (No, thanks!)FS2002 still works--on the same PC and the same drive C:.Can anybody suggest what to do? I appreciate posts, thanks!JS

Guest firehawk44

Disk 4 is required to be in your CDROM for MSCOF to start up unless you get the "no CD" hack elsewhere on the Internet.I had Direct X 9.0b installed on my system before installing COF. The program did not install Direct X on my system. You should ensure you have the latest Direct X as the version on the MSCOF CD is not the latest. You might want to upgrade your video card drivers and make sure you do not have AA enabled in the main video settings. Enable AA in the game only.Hope this helps some.Jim

Thanks Jim:Seems absurd that MS would bundle in a version of Direct X 9.0 that causes this stuff to happen.I shall research further and get it updated.JS