Sign in to follow this  
Cloud9

GeForceFX5900 and FS9

Just upgraded my video card two weeks ago, and was eager to try it out with FS9. Here's what works and what doesn't...System: AMD Athlon 2200+; 512MB, NForce1 Mobo with latest (May2003) NForce drivers; Win98SE; DX9.0a; NVIDIA Display drivers 44.03 WHQL (I couldn't find any newer ones for Win98 on the NVIDIA website).1) NVIDIA display properties AA set on 'Application' AF 'off', AA enabled in the FS9 options menu, I get beautiful scenery and 3D cockpit but no 2D panels at all.2) Same thing with AA off in FS9, but AA and AF turned on in Display properties.3) Added 'PanelAsTexture=0' to the FS9.cfg file (thanks AVSIM!!) Still no panels if AA enabled in FS9 but getting panels with AA off in FS9 and enabled in Display properties.4) Good news. With FS9 settings on 'UltraHigh' + T&L + Trilinear but AA off and AA=4xS and AF=4 set in NVidia display properties: frame rates are close to the locked setting ~19.9 even with clouds, and only go down to 14-16 over big cities (Seattle, Chigago etc). Very acceptable and smooth. 5) Still troublesome. Crashes when accessing map or kneeboard or top menu. So far, it looks as if I can avoid the crashes by going to windowed mode (Alt+Enter) before viewing the map or kneeboard then going back to full screen after closing either. Had no problems with map or kneeboard under situation #1 above, but I do like to use the 2D panel on occasion - so #4 seems to be the best compromise so far.This will be the best version yet once some of these video problems are worked out!I'd love to know if anyone finds any better solutions.Thanks.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello,I noticed these issues too with my FX card. I'm using driver 44.71 WHQL (go to www.guru3d.com). In Full-Screen mode, the AA from the NVidia driver will not allow you to see certain menues in FS9. I can view the 2-D cockpit w/o issues in Full-Screen mode. Now, in the Window mode, you can use AA with no problems. I recently set AA= 6xS, AF=4x and AA disbled in the FS menu. My Mooney looked outstanding! Visual quality was very nice all around!I hope Nvidia fixes the AA issue in FS in their new driver soon. I head that driver 45.20 (not WHQL at this time) resolves the AA problem in FS9, but I have not confirm this myself.Cloud9