Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

budsurf

Propellor Drag

Hi all, one thing that is not accurately modeled in most Fs9 prop planes is the propellor-drag caused when the throttle is retarded.I often fly interisland on Dash 8's and they fly at high speed 'til close to the field and then slow down quickly, throw out flaps and gear, and land. Lacking the proper formulas and expertise to make an accurate airfile, I finally started cobbling together xml gauges to try and simulate the effect. With some tweaking of the numbers you can come up with something quite a bit better than nothing. I merely added invisible spoilers to the air file and deploy the spoilers using an xml gauge. Here's an example using the Embraer 120.1. First make a backup copy of your E120's air file.2. Using AirEd v1.52, change your E120's record 327, Spoiler Available to TRUE instead of FALSE, and under Record 1101 Aerodynamic Coefficients/ Drag, change the Cd_ds - Spoiler Drag to 100. Save and exit AirEd.3. In your E120's aircraft.cfg under [airfplane_geometry], change the spoiler_limit to 59.0.4. Using notepad, copy the included txt file and rename it something like 'PropDragEmb120.xml'5. You can stick it in your E120's panel folder but I use a folder within the Gauges folder called 'XML-Gauges' where I keep all my homemade xml gauges.6. Add a line in your E120's panel.cfg, after all the other gauges on the main panel, like so: gaugexx=XML-gauges!PropDragEmb120, 5,5 ///invisible custom bud gauge7. For tweaking purposes I also put a temporary spoiler gauge in the panel.cfg - note that the plane will now decelerate smartly and decend steeply without over speeding.8. Have fun! Aloha from Hawaii!

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

33%
    $8,485.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now