Sign in to follow this  
Guest putts

FSX won't uninstall

Guest putts

I just build a new computer and installed a ASUS mother board with a AMD CPU at 3.1 hz with 6 gb of memory and a EVGA 9800 GT with 512mb of memory. And I also have a 650w PS. I am using my WD 640gb HDD black. Before I installed the HDD I formatted it. I then installed FSX and it stated that something was wrong and to fix or uninstall. I went to add/delete and removed it. I then tried to re-install but again a message came up saying I can fix the program or delete. I again searched all over my C: drive and did a search but couldn't find a program or file dealing with FSX. So I tried the repair file with the install disk. After I track down the program I can start it but it seems to run slow. I also can't get any higher the 8-9 frames ps. How can I find a way to delete everything in FSX, DLL files, Reg files, etc. I would like to start over with a clean bill and have it install correctly.

Guest firehawk44
I just build a new computer and installed a ASUS mother board with a AMD CPU at 3.1 hz with 6 gb of memory and a EVGA 9800 GT with 512mb of memory. And I also have a 650w PS. I am using my WD 640gb HDD black. Before I installed the HDD I formatted it. I then installed FSX and it stated that something was wrong and to fix or uninstall. I went to add/delete and removed it. I then tried to re-install but again a message came up saying I can fix the program or delete. I again searched all over my C: drive and did a search but couldn't find a program or file dealing with FSX. So I tried the repair file with the install disk. After I track down the program I can start it but it seems to run slow. I also can't get any higher the 8-9 frames ps. How can I find a way to delete everything in FSX, DLL files, Reg files, etc. I would like to start over with a clean bill and have it install correctly.
Goto the add/remove programs and select uninstall. Or reinsert the FSX DVD and select Remove this Program. It will not uninstall everything on your harddrive. You'll have to go into the directory and delete the FSX main folder that contain remnants of FSX. You'll also have a folder in your "My Documents" folder related to FSX that contains all your flight plans and any saved photos. That really doesn't need to be deleted but, if you want it totally clean, you will want to delete that folder. I would go on the Internet and download a free registry cleaner (google Registry Cleaner). The registry cleaner will delete any registration data. Once completed, restart your computer and reinstall FSX. When reinstalling FSX, turn off the User Account Control setting (default is on). Many people have had problems installing FSX with this control turned on. The next time you get a message stating that you need to fix the program or delete it, you need to write it down and provide it to us here on this forum so that we can properly diagnose your issue. You can turn off Account User Settings by clicking on the Start button and typing in the search bar 'Acc' and you should then see above User Accounts. Click on that then click on Change User Account Control Settings and turn the control off. If you have an anti-virus program installed, I would disable it during the installation of FSX and any and all addons. Hope this helps,Jim

I don't believe Jim mentioned it but you must also manually delete the folder which contains your FSX.cfg file.It is located here on my Win 7 system:C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSXAppData is a "hidden" folder.Delete the FSX folder.When searching for "leftovers" be sure to search for hidden files and folders.Good Luck.

Guest firehawk44
I don't believe Jim mentioned it but you must also manually delete the folder which contains your FSX.cfg file.It is located here on my Win 7 system:C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSXAppData is a "hidden" folder.Delete the FSX folder.When searching for "leftovers" be sure to search for hidden files and folders.Good Luck.
Thanks 'Opa' for the help! There's also a folder in C:/ProgramData/Microsoft/FSX and that one contains the working scenery.cfg for Vista and Windows7 users. It may or may not get uninstalled fully. I suppose he could also click on the Start button and search for FSX and that should bring up any unhidden folders/files if any are left. BTW, I'm an Opa too but have no Omi to help me out when the grandkids visit. It's fun stuff though being an Opa.Best regards,Jim