Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Possible CLUE to BSOD, Lockups, and crashes FS2004 WinXP

My System:Dell Dimension 8200 2.24G40G Hard drive512 RAMVetro GeForce ti4600 128Detonator 41.03 driversDirect X 9.0 this is an important part of the storyMy Story:Had this system for about a year, runs FS2002 great outside of a VERY occasional

I would try the following before doing a complete reformat/reinstall of your OS.First, before starting any programs/applications, i.e., fs2002, fs2004, Word, etc., press start, run..., type dxdiag, OK. Let directx diagnostic stabilize. On the System tab check to see what version of directx it says is installed. If it indicates DirectX9.0b then that is the latest available. Look over the other entries to see if they look reasonable, some may be blank or n/a. Also note if the check for WHQL digital signatures is checked.Next, select the various tabs and look for noted problems. If for instance on the DirectX Files page, it notes a beta or unknown file then you might have to try reinstalling DirectX again. Test each of the functions for the various sections, i.e., display, sound, etc.If you get errors, try using the DirectX More Help tab, troubleshooting.I would also check to see if there are updated drivers for your MOBO's controller chips, Intel, VIA, SiS, AMD, ALi.I am interested in the 'Process' that wouldn't allow you to install an update to DirectX 9. Does this process bar you from installing all updates from the Microsoft Website?If you do decide to reformat/reinstall WinXP, ensure you have all the updated drivers for WinXP for your MOBO controller chips, graphics adapter, sound, etc., prior to reformatting. If your hardrive is partitioned with more than one partition, you can store the drivers on one of the partitions not being reformatted. If your hardrive only has one partition, you will need to store the drivers on floppy disks or CDs to be used later. Also, before you add back any games/applications, update the WinXP with all the updates from Microsoft windows update site.W. Sieffert