Sign in to follow this  
Guest shaunp

Replacement Water Textures in VFR Photo Scenery

Guest shaunp

Hi.I've installed FS2004 with VFR Photographic Scenery my new computer (windows 7). All is well except that the replacement water textures have been installed as well despite the 'Replacement Water Textures' box being unticked. I'm not keen on those textures and prefer the Lakes to be their natural brownish colour which I had when using FS2002 on my previous computer. Has anyone got the know-how how to deal with this?Shaun

The original textures have been overwritten so you'll have to install them again as I'm pretty sure the justflight installer doesn't create a backup. If you can't find those exact ones then there's hundreds of great freeware water textures in the library.

i7 2600k @ 5.1Ghz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 580 @ 950MHz, OCZ Vertex II 240GB, ASUS Xonar DG, Thermaltake Toughpower XT 875W PSU, Antec KÜHLER 620 W/C, Corsair 600T SE White

My FS9 Screens - http://fs9screens.blogspot.com/

Callum Richardson

Guest shaunp
The original textures have been overwritten so you'll have to install them again as I'm pretty sure the justflight installer doesn't create a backup. If you can't find those exact ones then there's hundreds of great freeware water textures in the library.
Hi clum - thanks for the reply. How do I install them again without them being overwritten again? If there's no way to prevent them being over written, are you saying there's no way to view the photographic scenery of the Lakes in the Lake District?

You just have to download a set of water textures only and then copy them to your fs9/scenery/world/texture folder. You're only installing new water textures so the photoscenery wont be changed at all.Just to confirm, have you installed the option to have the inland/lakes water show as photo images or are they using the rendered fs2004 water?

i7 2600k @ 5.1Ghz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 580 @ 950MHz, OCZ Vertex II 240GB, ASUS Xonar DG, Thermaltake Toughpower XT 875W PSU, Antec KÜHLER 620 W/C, Corsair 600T SE White

Callum Richardson

Guest shaunp
You just have to download a set of water textures only and then copy them to your fs9/scenery/world/texture folder. You're only installing new water textures so the photoscenery wont be changed at all.Just to confirm, have you installed the option to have the inland/lakes water show as photo images or are they using the rendered fs2004 water?
I've installed the VFR Photographic scenery with the 'replacement water texture' box unchecked on all volumes. I don't won't any replacement water textures, I much prefer the photographic scenery. Even if I go to control panel, add remove, modify, the box is unchecked so I'm unable to uninstall the replacement water textures. :(

Right you're confusing me a little...lets start again.* In the sim do you see the lakes as being a photographic image of the water or as the rendered fs2004 water with reflection ect? * Which is it you want to see?* Which publisher version of the scenery do you have....JustFlight or Horizon Sim?The install process, depending on which publisher copy of the photo scenery you have, has a few options for water installation. it will either give you the option of installing the scenery along with water masks, which will let you see the rivers and lakes rendered as they were before the photoscenery was installed, or with no water masks, which shows all the rivers and lakes as a photograph with no reflections/wave effects just like the rest of the land. The other water option is to install a set of replacement textures which will change your ocean water to a colour that the publishers consider more fitting for the UK ocean. Unless you chose to install the scenery with the water masks then you'll only see these textures for the ocean.What I think you're saying is that you have installed the scenery with the water masks option AND the replacement textures and so are seeing these new blue lake textures in place of your old brown ones. Is that right? If so then your old textures are gone so you'll have to download a new set of textures that are to your liking form the avsim library and install them manually by yourself. If that's not what you mean then perhaps posting a screenshot up would be an easier way of explaining things.

Callum Richardson

Guest shaunp
Right you're confusing me a little...lets start again.* In the sim do you see the lakes as being a photographic image of the water or as the rendered fs2004 water with reflection ect? Replaced water textures is what I see* Which is it you want to see?Photographic image* Which publisher version of the scenery do you have....JustFlight or Horizon Sim?Just FlightThe install process, depending on which publisher copy of the photo scenery you have, has a few options for water installation. it will either give you the option of installing the scenery along with water masks, which will let you see the rivers and lakes rendered as they were before the photoscenery was installed, or with no water masks, which shows all the rivers and lakes as a photograph with no reflections/wave effects just like the rest of the land. The other water option is to install a set of replacement textures which will change your ocean water to a colour that the publishers consider more fitting for the UK ocean. Unless you chose to install the scenery with the water masks then you'll only see these textures for the ocean.The only options I get apart from the three main photographic sections are 'Replacement Water textures' and 'Enhanced Mesh terrain' Both of these I uncheck prior to install ( I have VFR Terrain) I don't want replacement texturesWhat I think you're saying is that you have installed the scenery with the water masks option AND the replacement textures and so are seeing these new blue lake textures in place of your old brown ones. Is that right? No (see above)If so then your old textures are gone so you'll have to download a new set of textures that are to your liking form the avsim library and install them manually by yourself. If that's not what you mean then perhaps posting a screenshot up would be an easier way of explaining things.
I've taken a screenshot but can't upload it - another subject for another day