Sign in to follow this  
RGS

480GTX owners, need advice please (about to RMA 5870).

Hi guys,I had an 8800GTX 768MB, it died and was replaced with a 5870 2GB Vapor-X card.The first ATI I received was physically broken, (bit of plastic had snapped) - RMA'd.The second was experiencing the ATI GSOD issues:http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm...p;enterthread=yand this 100 page thread here:http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm...p;keyword1=gsod(there are others)Second card RMA'd, found faulty, new card sent. New card is *much* better, yet I still occasionally experience the same issue (but MUCH less). FSX *seems* stable, 5 hrs yest, no crash. But have managed crashes with Napoleon:Total War, BioShock and Alien Breed Demo, although I have been able to play these games for hours at a time also... So it's weird. Stalker CoP will *always* crash, almost always within the hour. The last RMA'd card wouldn't ever get past the benchmark, this one will but the game itself will eventually hang it.I was about to RMA this card too (as it would appear that there is still something faulty somewhere) and go for a 480 as it seems that nVidia are better known for stability and so on. The guy at the store asked if I was sure as 'the card runs very hot and loud, in fact we've just had two returned for this very reason. The customers said it was heating up their rooms too much!' So before making that decision I'd like to know what you guys have experienced. Primarily I am concerned about stability. I need the card for work (3D modeling and 2D) so it has to be stable and FSX compatibility is absolutely vital also. When the card's working (which *appears* to be most of the time right now) it's superb - silent, cool and *extremely* fast. But I don't want to hang onto something that has problems which may or may not be hardware related. Additionally as I've had the card for over a week now if they can't find fault with it on return I stand to lose up to 25% of the price I paid (

Am i understanding right your pc is crashing sort of randomly? Sometime's it goes for hours and sometimes it only takes 5 mins, but always when you are doing something intensive on it, never when just using windows/word/internet explorer or things like that? Have you checked that your memory is not broken? I had the same problem when i build my current pc, i had to return most parts to the store, they sent everything back but i got new ram and since then it doens't occur anymore.Hope you can solve your problem,Wouter

Cheers guys,It's a known issue with the ATI cards, there's a 100 page thread about it on the ATI/AMD site: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm...p;STARTPAGE=100Have ordered an nVidia/Zotac GTX 480, will be here tomorrow morning + just filed the RMA for the 5870. I hope it all works out ok, these ATI problems have had me out of action for way too long as it is (this is my third card, first one arrived physically broken, second had this issue, was RMA'd and found faulty)...I was just wondering before buying the 480 if there were any issues with it in FSX? (too late now of course!!)I *should* be ok temperature-wise as have a full tower case with 6 fans in it, but I'd be interested to hear how people are finding the temps and noise anyway (though I'll know shortly myself I guess).I really hope it's stable, that's the main thing (I'm not worried that it'll be fast ;)).Thanks,Rob