Sign in to follow this  
Guest Edam

Project AI (PAI) Finds new home/Host!

Notice over on the working Forum for PAI they have a new home and files host.. News can be seen over at http://www.fsgateway.com/They will be reachable at http://www.projectai.com/Still shame they couldn't be hosted here on AVSIM especially when I saw this, "A free download area will be made public, it will however be limited in the amount of connections and bandwidth available. For those who believe in truely supporting, ProjectAI a donation area will be made available for those making a contribution to ProjectAI, all proceeds will cover the operational costs associated with the high bandwidth requirements of ProjectAI.The contributor's area will not be restricted to amount of connections and will enjoy a full 1.45 Mbps of burstable (100 Mbps) bandwidth."Ugh, not the old Hide the files behind a subscription trick. :-eek Don't get me wrong, not saying PAI hasn't done a nice job and doesn't deserve support, just that limit the reg. folks to 15k a second dl's gets on my 'nerves' after a while. And the thoughts of running the update EXE and being told sorry leechboy all connections taken rerun the exe later, sends a shiver or two down the ole spine. ;) When I do have some free money avail. I'd love to help out PAI to cover costs, but would have rather done it without "needing to". Anyway, will be nice to see PAI back up and running.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>Ugh, not the old Hide the files behind a subscription trick. >Don't get me wrong, not saying PAI hasn't done a nice job >and doesn't deserve support, just that limit the reg. folks >to 15k a second dl's gets on my 'nerves' after a while. And >the thoughts of running the update EXE and being told sorry >leechboy all connections taken rerun the exe later, sends a >shiver or two down the ole spine.Labeling this as a "trick," as well as you claiming that they will call you a "leechboy," is a little premature, wouldn't you say?Up to this point, the individuals belonging to Project AI have been courteous and helpful, despite some of the unfair criticism that they have received from certain people. I can think of a few other groups that should take a lesson from them as far as how to react to complaints and criticisms. Let's just wait and see how it goes before making unfounded accusations and speculations, shall we?

Not claiming anything of the sort of PAI. The web site hosts on the other hand is a different story. Like you said we shall see what happens. I wish all the luck & success to PAI, I have been waiting for it since it was announced. Just makes me wince when I see the project being hid behind a "first class" subscription dealie.Personally I think bandwidth usuage would be less in future since there wouldn't be a big rush all at once to get the "main batch" of files. It should be more spread out in the future, with airline releases coming here & there.

>The web site hosts on the other hand is a different story.Why? Has that site been guilty of that in the past? If there is something that I am unaware of, clue me in.>Just makes me wince when I see the project being hid behind a >"first class" subscription dealie.Again you are saying that there is something that is somehow nefarious here, that something is "hidden." The announcement also says nothing about "first class." What it DOES say is that, as you have quoted:"For those who believe in truely supporting, ProjectAI a donation area will be made available for those making a contribution to ProjectAI, all proceeds will cover the operational costs associated with the high bandwidth requirements of ProjectAI."I don't know about you, but I have purchased a few add-ons (planes, utilities, etc.) for FS that it turned out that I was unhappy with, and never use them. Project AI is something that I already know that I am happy with, and would be willing to contribute to. It can only get better. My suggestion to you, or to anyone else who is doubtful, is to wait and see what occurs with this new development, and go from there. But to put it down, before it is implemented, and to make aspersions as to it's intent, is just irresponsible in my opinion.