Sign in to follow this  
Guest smegger

? USB monitor

Guest smegger

I would like to build a "simplified" 747 cockpit using FSX, the PMDG 747 and Wideview. My plan includes buying a small monitor of about 8-10 inches and using it to display the PFD, ND and upper and lower EICAS. One option seems to be to use a USB monitor. I'd appreciate any comments from people who have had experience using this type of monitor with FSX. Thanks.Phil McEvoy.

I use a Mimi mini monitor on a WideFS set up, but I run my ProFlight Emulator, Active Sky Evolution and Flight Deck Companion programs on that box, and then run my aircraft panel on a 4th 17 inch monitor set up to my FS9 rig (FS9 -- NOT FSX. My specs are below.) I've found the 7 inch monitor is just too small to use for instrumentation for my 53 year old eyes.The thing to keep in mind is that these small monitors is that they generally display in a VERY minimal resolution -- I think mine is normally 800 x 400 -- and a lot of programs won't run at that low of a resolution. I've "tricked mine up" to work by fooling my computer into thinking it has another, second and larger monitor, setting resolutions for that, rebooting and then swapping displays in the ATI software so that the Mimi is the main display, but the software thinks it's working on a larger display. It works, but it wasn't easy to figure out and I was unaware of this (understandable) resolution limitation when I bought the small monitor.Make sure you purchase from a place that takes returns with no questions asked -- I got mine at ThinkGeeks.com.

Guest smegger

Thanks for the information. I've been looking for a small HDMI monitor but they seem more expensive than large ones but after what you said about the difficulties of setting up a USB monitor I'll probably settle for an HDMI. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

You're welcome! With all that being said, keep in mind that I did keep mine, and now that it does what I want it to, it does serve it's purpose. Good luck!