Sign in to follow this  
Moose4

Aerodesigns A340 frame rate problems?

I've been trying out the Aerodesigns A340-300 downloaded here at avsim.com...wow. What an amazing job, very detailed and very nice panel. And it seems to work well with FS2004 except for one problem.That problem is, when sitting at the 2D panel, my frame rate gets absolutely slaughtered. I don't have a slow system--AMD Athlon XP+ 2500, 512 MB PC2700 RAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4200 4x AGP w/128 MB--and still, I'm getting 10 fps just looking at the 2D panel. My frame rates are actually much higher using the VC, more like 20. And they lock at 30 in external views--although the textures on the A340 are so huge, my machine will freeze doing a disk load for 5-8 seconds trying to draw the house paint job!Any idea what's causing that massive frame rate hit at the 2D panel? No other 2D panel in the entire program, original or downloaded, causes that problem. All the stock B7x7 panels, the old stuff like the DC-3, and everything else I've downloaded have all pretty much allowed me to consistently run 30 fps exclusive of lots of scenery or lots of clouds. Only this particular plane takes my frame rate down to 10-12 fps staring at open sky.I'd love to find a good working A340 for FS2004, but I can't even imagine shooting an approach in the Aerodesigns one with a frame rate that low, I'd hate to bend such a nice clean white airframe... :)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I encountered the same problem when I first tried the A340. Under the panel view, I got only 10~15fps. After switching to the spot view, the fps jumps back to 30+. So there must be something nasty thingy in the 2D panel. ;)Open up PanelPanel.cfg, delete or comment out the "VCockpit02" section. Done, no more sluggish! However, you will lose the gauges in the virtual cockpit. I remove "Window04" & "Window05" as well, since I don't have any UT or FlightOne products installed.Hope this helps!

Well, I just tried changing the panel.cfg and no go. Still 10 fps in 2D panel mode. Looking out the side windows or straight back, no worries, 20-30 fps, but there's something about that 2D panel that's killing my frame rate. :(Between that and the fact that on a 512MB RAM machine, I'm getting massive 5+ second lockups as it swaps in textures in external view, I'll have to put that one in the hangar for a while. At least until I can get another 512MB RAM (soon!) and use the VC. Maybe there'll be an FS2004 update of that great plane and it'll fix the problems.