Sign in to follow this  
Guest digtek

FS2004/FS9 - My 2 cents

Guest digtek

No John, it lacks a VC, and while unable to speak with the authors I suspect since the FS9 update was released right away that one may be in the pipe?I actually download nearly every new aircraft I see and give them all a chance, would not mind making a post here and again when I find one that is real nice - but I suspect most here also download and check out any new aircraft they see?I also downloaded and tried your mirage v2 and while I never personally attacked any author here You seem very upset when your package also includes aircraft, panel and sound - even has alternate panel.cfg files for use in 2004. Perhaps it does not have a door and it may be true that I do not generally keep aircraft that do not, but if you think I was directing any of my comments at you that would be incorrect. Your package is clean and very worthy.It may be my own perception of things that aircraft made with FSDS seem to lack finer detail, or the limits of the program itself, I sure don't know. However, the Piper Mirage V2 is a nice flying and very clean aircraft package - certainly one of the nicer Pipers one can find available as freeware.Only question would be the use of the GPS500 in the main window when the 295 pops up? I think the 295 looks fine in the panel with this setting but again that would be my personal preferance and done either way it has no effect on the overall quality of your package.gauge34=fs9gps!gps_295, 370,38,266,163

Guest digtek

don't bother being polite when you can be sarcastic...

Guest digtek

Because I sense a lot of damaged ego's and nobody wants that do they...

Thanks for the 295 entry.... I'll try that in the panel tonight...FSDS can probably do as much as GMAX, but it takes more work IMHO. Some authors have done a pretty good job--Jon Murchison comes to mind with his BAE. What FSDS really lacks is a good boolean cut feature--one of the reasons why making doors is such a challenge. Dave Eckert has good tutorials on his site, but I haven't given myself much time to check them out...too many issues the past few months.Probably the most detailed FSDS aircraft I can think of and also worthy of being payware, is Yannick's Robin. It has very high res textures, a nice VC....really the whole package. But Yannick needs to recompile it in FSDS 2 for the animations to carry over to FS2004. I think Microsoft threw us a few curves there--there's a lot of good FSDS aircraft, even payware examples like the Carenado V35, that may end up fading away. J

>FSDS can probably do as much as GMAX, but it takes more work>IMHO. Some authors have done a pretty good job--Jon Murchison>comes to mind with his BAE. What FSDS really lacks is a good>boolean cut feature--one of the reasons why making doors is>such a challenge. The next revision to FSDS2 will include a boolean operator, as well as some other nice enhancements. Even though I am a master GMaxer, Bobby Hayes has proven once and for all time that FSDS2 is a fully capable a program as GMax with regards to the visual model. After all, a tool is only as good as the hands of the craftsman.Take a look at the new Citation X being developed at eaglesoftdg1.com John. It's simply stunning! :)Now, returning to one of the points the originator of this thread made, I will agree that a lot of the stuff being uploaded could stand more "peer review" before being released. At the very least, several people should be asked to try out the package to make sure that everything installs properly.Of course, we all know that even "payware" occasionally contains a boo-boo or two from time to time, in spite of stringent beta testing.I do not think that the problem is one of "bruised egos" at all, but rather the narrow and rather vituperous manner in which things were said. Quality speaks for itself and needs no other form of 'boosterism...' :)BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002/images/fartslogo.jpg

Guest crashing_pilot

>Because I sense a lot of damaged ego's and nobody wants that>do they...uhm....if you had thought of that when posting,you might have reworded your post.......i hope ;-)and as for quality:aerocommanders by scott thomas,milton shupe etc"excellent" ! dash 7 by the same folks:excellent!! an26 by dimitri samborski:excellent,ys11 by allied fsgroup:excellent,dauphin heli by antti pankkonen:excellent,ec130 by the same guy:excellent,erickson skycrane by ...rogers? EXCELLENT....sheesh...i could go on and on...i'll refrain from that ;-)

Guest digtek

You are right nearly without doubt, and I have near overdone my apologies while maintaining that perhaps with the sharp edges removed much of what I tried to get across bears remembering.I made no claim to be a master producer of add-ons and was not directing anything I said at anyone (and must be honest in saying I did not expect the reaction I got, though looking at it I don't know why I did not see how it was going to be percieved). I do/have/will be (perhaps a more silent) simmer for some time and have offered the few files I thought worth posting along with many occasions of helping out the fellow simmer (more when I flew online, but as my original post said be it my setup or whatever I cannot get SB to work properly on this XP machine with a LAN connection to the net - and while I am not Billy G I built all 4 of the machine here and set them up, plus it worked on 98 and ME so I am stumped). Anyway not to retract the point that for me switching to 2004 is a chance to 'start fresh' and not end up with the mess I had with 2000/2002 (which is not saying it did not run just fine, it did) and move on from what seems to be a very reactive post if nothing else...

Guest digtek

I would be being dishonest if I said I was thinking of how people were going to feel attacked by it, but what is done is done and in the end it is unlikely to change the world much or alter anyone's actual opinions or standards...

Guest cw1011

Well, I stopped reading a few paragraphs in when it became clear this was a post was more about telling us how smart he is, how high his standards are and how great his stuff is, and how careless, greedy and thoughtless just about everyone else is. Where I come from, that attitude won't make you a lot of friends. Colin

"Because I sense a lot of damaged ego's and nobody wants that do they..."You sense wrong. Nobody's ego is damaged by your bad manners. They are pointing out to you that you demonstrate zero modesty and much arrogance, but without the apparent achievements to get away with either. But you don't seem to be able to understand this. I would haul yourself out of the deep trench you've dug before it buries you beyond trace.RY

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Guest digtek

If you are so smart why did you not simply let the thread die.Was off the front page all day...And I have no shortage of friends so if you think you are going to make me cry or something...Most moved off this post and I am glad of it.