Sign in to follow this  
DaryllB25840

I WAS bumed out with FS2004,

Not anymore. I have a low powered system by todays standards. Windows ME, 700 mhz Pent III, 256 MB, nVida 440 MX 64 MB, at 800x600x32 res. When I installed FS9 I couldn't use the nice new stuff, no 3D clouds because my fps went through the floor, the horizon shimmered,the hills didn't have a 3D look to them, the airplanes didn't look as good as in my FS2002.The only thing I liked were the new "old" planes. I was starting to think that I would be spending my time back in 2002 and wondering if I could move the new "old" airplanes there. I have an nVida MX video card, I think they sold a lot of them. I had installed the gf4mxdsp.zip (display cfg) back in my FS2002. The replacement file "turned on" FS2002 for me with shinny chrome and aluminum textures and beautiful Truthan water. I asked Scottpilot if it worked in FS2004. He posted a response on the forum on the 11th and said he was having success with it in FS9.I looked into the FS9 default display cfg, and my card wasn't in there, there were no entries for GeForce 3/4. So I installed gf4mxdsp into FS9 main folder and replaced the default display.cfg. and a world of difference occured for me. Aircraft paint now has a wet emeron appearance, the aluminum and chrome surfaces are shinny, the scenery now has 3D to it now where I can really feel the valley I'm flying up. Truthan's water has movement now with depth to it, waves lap the shore (water slider all the way down). I can use 3D clouds to a certain extent with little or no FPS drop, if the % & draw distance aren't too far. I still can't fly into a thunderstorm or snow storms (6 fps) which is probably a good thing. I haven't done much tweeking but I can tell I will be happy just by the way things are going. I think doubling the RAM to 512 MBs will help a whole lot.I don't know what the deal is with the default display.cfg. Why isn't my card listed ?? I'm starting to think that a lot of the problems that are being reported is because of the default display cfg. I would suggest that everyone with problems or if they don't think they're getting the real deal, take a look into the default display cfg and see if your video card is in there. If not take a look into gf4mxdsp.zip and see if your video card is in there. If it is in gf4mxdsp I would recommend that you try it. It's just a matter of moving out the default display cfg to a holding spot outside of FS9 and putting in gf4mxdsp and see if there is an improvement. I can say that it turned FS9 around for me. I have good everything at about 15 fps locked at 20.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!