Sign in to follow this  
Guest jordan

Jenny and Vimy flight models

Guest papatango

I am wondering if anyone else is finding this. I am flying the Curtis Jenny and the Vickers Vimy. The Jenny has a ceiling of 11,000 and the Vimy a ceiling of 8,000.For both planes, the maximum altitude that I can climb to is between 1,000-1,500. At those altitudes, the planes stop climbing even with the yolk all the way back, and eventually just stall. This seems really unrealistic and takes away from flying these planes. They look fabulous though. I have not flown the othe historical planes to see if there are any problems with their flight models. Seems like Microsoft should have caught these seeming problems though, unless I am doing something wrong. No problems coming close to the ceilings with the modern planes.papatango

I don't have FS2004 as yet, so I'm just guessing, but possibly you're taking off with full fuel, in which case you may need to either reduce your fuel on take-off or burn it off before attempting to climb higher.I agree that in both cases the "ceiling" is far too low. From what I remember biplanes had a good rate of climb due to their large (double) wing area.Hope you find a fix,Alastair

Guest jmarcure

I just climbed to 2000ft without a problem. If you read the check list you will see that climbing is defined as high speed and no turns. Also don't turn below 800ft. This plane is a real dog in the air but in my opinion it really shines compared to the Vickers.Jon

Guest jordan

Checking your fuel weight is crucial. Also, you need to check the density altitude for your location before your flight. If its a hot day, and your field is sitting at 2000ft MSL, then you aren't going to get very high.