Sign in to follow this  
fullmetal02

12GB Ram solved my issues! Does anyone know why?

Hello all. Looking for an answer to a question that no one seems to be in agreement on. Previously my system experenced CTDs, BSOD, grey screens and other errors on moderate (default) settings for FSX, keep in mind my system is high-end. The only components that are not top of the line are RAM, and my 5870. I checked everywhere for fixes. The following is briefly what I have had to do:1. Reinstalled FSX Acceleration2. memtest 86 all RAM individually3. UIatomationcre.dll removal4. uninstalled all addons5. Reset all of my settings for FSX to default6. Deleted fsx.cfg7. Reduced settings on REX 2.0, Ran FSX with no REX8. Fixed registry errors with CC cleaner The only thing I did not do was change my overclock on my system. These were all a result of REX 2.0 not playing nice with my high end system. So at 8:50 p.m. yesterday I went to my local Micro Center and purchased an additional 6GB of a DD3 Corsair Dominator 2000 CL8 (yes I realize its not Mushkin but its what was available in a pinch!). I installed it and voila, no more performance issues. I read on the forums that FSX can only address 4gb or RAM and that W7 will play nice with 6gb but because W7 reserves so much memory for normal processes I believe it starves FSX. My results so far. I flew from YSSY-VTSP and no problems. NO BSODs, no grey screens, no CTDs. Everything is fluid. According to threads I have read, everyone with serious computer knowledge is saying that 12gb can make no difference in your system. Heck even the computer tech at Micro Center said the same thing. I am just making the case that if you have multiple addons, I have UTX, GEX, REX, PMDG 744,MD-11, FS2crew, FTX Australia and some others that I have probably forgotten your system is eating memory. Sorry for the long post, but here is my fundamental question: Why does 12GB solve my problems, when 6GB should be plenty? I even looked at some posts in AVSIM where users actually stated that 12gb SOLVED all of their issues and others disagreed stating it was impossible...Does anyone know the answer to this question. A quick search of the web finds many users like me finding that 12gb fixes their problems in FSX and W7.

supporter.jpg

Guest Hondabuff

I ended up pulling 4GB of Ram out of my system for a higher overclock. I'am running a total of 4GB of Corsair Dominator C8 and while FSX is running, I have only seen 2GB max being used. Try running this program before starting FSX and see what resources are being used up. http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html. I only run TrendMicro internet security pro have have no other spyware or anyprograms running in the background. My Windows 7 pro is only reserving 1.2 GB for memory. Hope it get it sorted out.

I ended up pulling 4GB of Ram out of my system for a higher overclock. I'am running a total of 4GB of Corsair Dominator C8 and while FSX is running, I have only seen 2GB max being used. Try running this program before starting FSX and see what resources are being used up. http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html. I only run TrendMicro internet security pro have have no other spyware or anyprograms running in the background. My Windows 7 pro is only reserving 1.2 GB for memory. Hope it get it sorted out.
I ran msconfig and others to stop services in the background, with absolutely no benefit... The gamebooster looks interesting...

supporter.jpg