Sign in to follow this  
golli

Phenom 965 vs Thuban 1090T

Good day FSX experts.As there is a $100.00 difference between these two CPU's, I was wondering does FSX ever use 6 Cores (let alone 4)??My line of thinking is to get the Crosshair lV Formula and a Phenom 965(@4.0 Ghz) and use it with my GTX 285. Does that sound resonable ??I think an i7 system is far to expensive for me.Thanks in advance.Golli

Not saying this as an "expert", the CPU speed is important, the extra cores is not.

Art

no, it's not worth it. the 1090T overclocks a bit better, that's all you'll get in return for those extra 100 bucks. 100-200MHzbut make sure it's the 125W version and not the 140W. otherwise you'll struggle to get passed 3.6GHzand yes, fsx "uses" all 6 cores, but that doesn't help get better performance. I've done tests with affinity mask and even disabling cores and it makes no difference

Thanks for the reply's guys. @ Mr. dazz: in your signature you have, more or less, the system I'm shooting for (minus 1090T) What kind of FPS are you getting from this system ?? And with what add-on's ??Are there no memory speed advantages to be had from the 1090T ??Thanks in advanceGolli

It's cheaper to get a 1055T and a good board like a Asus Crosshair Formula IV or a Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 You should hit 4GHz either way.I'm not sure about about memory speed TBH, I'll do some tests. But 4GB is enough (again I wasted money by adding 4 extra GB).Have you considered an I7 860? 1156 boards are a lot cheaper than X58 and without tripple channel you would only need 4GB of ram.the 860 overclocks very well too and that rig would be just about 100$ more than the 1055T build. I7 are faster core for core than thubans and that's what FSX seems to like.I'd love to see some FSX benchmarks from I7 9xx owners with 2 (dual channel) and 3(tripple channel) memory sticks, because very few applications take advantage from tripple channel and if that was the case for FSX, that would be the best bang for the buck build by far.If I could go back in time I would have gone with the I7 860 build. Now I hope the AMD buldozer comes out for AM3 next year and I can forget about performance by just replacing my CPUoh, and no raptors , most likely SSD too... waste of moneyget a good PSU, case, & CPU cooler and overclock like mad.a GTX460 1MB at the current prices would be the GPU to go with IMO

Thanks for the reply's guys. @ Mr. dazz: in your signature you have, more or less, the system I'm shooting for (minus 1090T) What kind of FPS are you getting from this system ?? And with what add-on's ??Are there no memory speed advantages to be had from the 1090T ??Thanks in advanceGolli