Sign in to follow this  

MD-11 windshield anti-ice BBQ

Interesting anti-ice process on a FedEx MD-11 windscreen......From the NTSB brief:"The crew reported that prior to pushback, maintenance personnel were engaged in the repair of a small (1 x 3 inch) hole on the underside of the left horizontal stabilizer. During this time the flight crew observed the co-pilot's forward windscreen panel (R1) crack and observed what they described as flames emanating from the lower portion of the windscreen. The captain perceived that the flames were on the exterior of the windscreen and the first officer opened his right window (R2) and used a hand held halon fire extinguisher to attempt to extinguish the fire. The captain radioed SEATAC ground control advising them of the fire condition. The aircraft was then de-powered and the fire went out."Good thing we don't use the old alcohol spray bars anymore.Timothy

Guest tallpilot

Tim,If you've never seen a heated windshield crack and start arcing it's a sight to behold. :-lol During my Airline career (30yrs) I had two of them. One on a DC-9 inflight and one on the DC-10 on the ground. The one inflight happened at night and scared the h..l (read heck):-) out of us. Fortunately there were no icing condition along our route.Ed Weber a.k.a tallpilot

Had a few delaminate (727/747) where we just used a black grease pencil to track its progress, but never had one spit sparks or catch fire.Must be just a M-Doug optionTimothy(20 yrs and still flying)

Guest tallpilot

I was Red Tail (by way of the Blue Duck, NCA/REP). How about you? (tell me where your based and I can probably figure it out) :-)>Timothy(20 yrs and still flying)

Red book....then Orange Book captain till '57 (hoping back over the fence)Minneno-place based. Lived right by KFCMTimothy(Attended Herman's "Funeral" but don't remember too much about it (grin))

Guest tallpilot

Thought you might be:-) My son is NWA bouncing back and forth between Bus F/O and 9 Capt. He soled a Stearman on his 16th birthday down at Stanton glider field. We lived in Apple Valley and used to fly a J-3 and C-170 out at Southport Airport. (You're probably too young to remember that airport) :-)Ed

I was charmed too in my youth, FoF (Friend of Family) got me on as a ramp-rat when I was 15 for his airtaxi service. Went for my private ride with close to 180 hrs in my logbook on my 17th birthday, including 57 hrs of King Air time legally logged as dual. That was back when flying was fun....nothing like riding my bicycle to the airport to fly right seat in the King Air (too young for driver's license) on some maintenance hop or part 91 flight.I loved the Stearmans. Ever noticed how the really fun things in avaition (meaning airplanes and some females) serve no practical purpose....?Hope your hops are all 'Code zero' and TP's are clearTimothy