Sign in to follow this  
ulisses

Fs2004 on a DLP projector

Guest christian

Some time ago, someone asked about running FS2004 on a projector. I finally got around trying it. Here's my opinion on it:I used a quality DLP projector for $3000 and projected it onto the wall and moved close to the picture, so it would fill out my field of view. Resolution was 1024x798px.First, I tried this with the virtual panel on. The result of that setup can just be described as WOW. This was really one immersive experience, I nearly felt as if I was indeed sitting in an airplane. I could barely resist stretching out my hands and tuning the radios manually. On the negative side though, the picture was a bit blurry due to the low resolution (and me sitting very close to the wall). However, the immersiveness really made up for it.Next, I tried without panel. While this really puts you into (or over) the landscape, it has a disturbing side effect. Due to the low resolution, the pixels close to you jump across the image a lot. The picture is flickering a lot where the landscape is close. This isn't visible when you use a panel, since you can't see the close landscape, but without panel it is quite disturbing.My conclusion would be that if you have the money and fly with panels on, its worth it. If you prefer flying in spotplane mode or with panels off, you would need a projector with a much larger resolution.As a final note, you also have to make sure to ceiling mount the projector, or better use a backprojected system, otherwise you'll get your shadow in the way.Cheers, Christian

I use FS2004 and Project Magenta, so I don't use a panel, only full screen. I have here a DLP projetor and I get a good image, but here are my impressions:1- My DLP (old model) hasn't enough speed to follow a fast pixel update, so sometimes I see stutter generated by the DLP. Not so fluid like a monitor but good enough.2- I'm using 1280x1024, but my projector real resolution is 1024x768, I found it good to soften the image a little.3- I changed my video board to a Radeon 9800pro to increase the anti-alias, what help so much when projecting in a large screen. Big screen = big artifacts :)4- You must seat at the correct distance for your screen size, you can't project 100 inches and be only 1 meter from it. Now I'm opening the screen at 50" and my chair is 2 meters from the screen.5- I like the projector, the sensation is very nice...display2.jpgUlisses