Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yankeegolf3

overclocking naive questions

hi,With the intel I7, overclocking is possible with the turboboost option. Why the I7 does not not come directly at the highest frequency ?Why CPU manufacturers have given up the frequency race while at the same time are offering the oveclocking option? It sounds contradictory ...

I guess becasue they can make more versions of the same CPU to make more money. Instead of just one CPU at a high frequency they make each a different frequency and then some with unlocked multipliers etc And why not offer the Overclock option as a selling point by now I'm very sure Intel knows that either way their will be overclockers.

Guest TomOOO
hi,With the intel I7, overclocking is possible with the turboboost option. Why the I7 does not not come directly at the highest frequency ?Why CPU manufacturers have given up the frequency race while at the same time are offering the oveclocking option? It sounds contradictory ...
Due to heat..The tubo boost works on 1 core for programs that use a single core. Multi core programs do not get auto-tubo-boostand it all comes down heat produced. If you do overclock then you need to uprate the cooling.