Sign in to follow this  
AdvancedFollower

Geoforce FX vs. ATI Radeon

FolksI know that this topic has been discussed 100 times before.But I want to warn everbody out there who has intentions to upgrade to a Geoforce FX card.Like most FS2004 users, I was fighting against bad frame rates for weeks - tried all workarounds, patches, priority settings etc.But I was never really 100 % satitsfied with the results.I want max settings with acceptable frame rates.Last night, I decided to buy a new graphics card - after reading a few reviews and because I'm a NVIDIA fan, I thought that a FX 5800 Ultra should be good enough to bring FS 2004 alive.But after installation, I couldn't really believe my eyes:With PMDG 737 NG, real world weather, 3 cloud layers, 1280*1024 @ 32 bit, ALL settings maxed, 2*AA and 4*Anisotropic Filtering I was getting 3,8 FPS - lower frame rates than with my previous GF 4 Ti 4200 card. Only turning of AA and AF kicked the frame rates in the mid 20's.Today, I returned the FX card (told the guy that it doesn't work) paid a 100 extra bucks and got me the Radeon 9800 Pro.What a difference:PMDG 737, all settings maxed, 4*AA, 8*AF, 1280*1024 @ 32bit, same cloud layers as yesterday: never seen less then 18 FPS - even on approach to JFK with full AI traffic.Therefore: leave your hands off the FX cards (at least everything below the FX 5900 Ultra). FX cards are not the solution for getting better FPS in FS2004. Go and get the ATI Radeon and flying will be fun again !ThanksTSE

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Glad you enjoy the Radeon.However, you should have experienced better performance with the 5800 Ulra. Something must have been wrong with the drivers or configuration. The 5800 Ultra should be much faster than the Geforce4 Ti4200.The bottom line is that both FX cards and Radeon cards are great for FS2004.

The GF5800 was only a stopgap and is no longer made. The current card is the GF5900 and the Ultra version will outperform even the 9800 Pro under certain situations. I agree with the previous poster that your experience suggests that something else was wrong.Allcott

I have to chime in as a vote for the FX cards as well.Granted, I am using FSW's cloud fix, and the lower Autogen textures to bring up my frame rates, but as the proud new owner of a 5200FX even I am satisfied. I was using a 420MX 64 Meg PCI card, and for 80 bucks this card is a definite improvement. I use Quincrux AA (even with the menuing issue, I work around it), 2X AF and 1024x768 resolution. It is not the best card in the world. But for 80 bucks, it gives me a fully compliant DX 9.0 Card and that counts for something.

"But for 80 bucks, it gives me a fully compliant DX 9.0 Card and that counts for something."Actually it counts for nothing. The card may be DX9 compliant in theory, but much of it is emulated in drivers, and the card is too slow to take advantage of any DX9-class features.It's a pretty good deal, but $80 won't get you a card that can run future DX9 titles.