Sign in to follow this  

Flaps use???

Just out of curiosity when are flaps used at their various settings? I realize that this is pretty broad in regards to various aircraft but what is a general rule of thumb.ie. When do you use partial flaps, full flaps, takeoff setting and decending?I have a pretty good idea, and do use various settings, depending on the aircraft but I am just curious as to how far out in left field I might be.http://members.shaw.ca/dan_cyxc/sigcard.jpg

Guest mikehaska

Hi Dan,For each aircraft, a flaps schedule is given. This lists the speeds at which you extend/retract the flaps.Take a look at this one for the 737:http://www.b737.org.uk/flapspeedschedule.htmIn general, though. 1-3 notches (dependent on aircraft) for takeoff, and retract as you climb. As well, when landing, start deploying them as you get closer, eventally reaching full flaps at the threshold.

i changed the Subject; only one question mark is necessaryjust like using flapsuse only what is requiredcheck the Pilot's Operating Handbook [POH] for the aircraft being flowneven a C172 with full tanks and four pax should use flaps [10%] on takeoff [TO]most heavies require flaps for TOALL planes require flaps for landing (usually: Full)your question reminds me of some humor enjoyed when my experienced friend was riding righthand seat in the C172 as we approach the destination airport:"Do we need flaps here, Terry?""You do if you're landing at THIS aiport," was his succinct reply ;-)wji