Sign in to follow this  
Guest GTJ

i7-875K CPU performance with FSX

Guest GTJ

I have been a flight simmer for some time, but new to this forum.It is finally time for a new build. I want the best rig for maximizing FSX performance. I had pretty much decided on the i7-980X paired with a high end NVIDIA GPU. However, I am considering the unlocked i7-875K which has shown some some really decent benches when compared to some of the the higher end i7 900 series CPU s.Does anyone have any experience with this CPU? If so, would also be interested in performance marks, and which GPU you are running.

Guest firehawk44
I have been a flight simmer for some time, but new to this forum.It is finally time for a new build. I want the best rig for maximizing FSX performance. I had pretty much decided on the i7-980X paired with a high end NVIDIA GPU. However, I am considering the unlocked i7-875K which has shown some some really decent benches when compared to some of the the higher end i7 900 series CPU s.Does anyone have any experience with this CPU? If so, would also be interested in performance marks, and which GPU you are running.
I heard the Extreme i7-990x will be released by Intel sometime soon, possibly in Oct. It will be about the same price as the 980X ($999) so I would wait. It will be a little faster as I have been reading a lot of the reviews on it. Winter is almost here in Northern Virginia so I'm seriously going to get on the upgrading bandwagon soon (uh, I said that last year when the 975X was released...). But I'm serious now as I think Microsoft Flight will be available soon and I'm looking at the 990X and the latest and greatest Nvidia GPU. Personally I would stay with the six-core CPU's as the one with the most cores wins and the i7-875K is only quad-core (more than enough for FSX/FS9 but maybe not for the future). You can save a lot of money with the 875K though (around $330 compared to $999 for the state of the art) and then later upgrade to the 980X or 990X. My thoughts...Best regards,Jim

Problem with upgrading from the i7 8xx series to an i7 9xx series is that you also have to change the whole motherboard with it. Going to be a little bit pricy in my opinion. But you can wait for the i7 990x, when that one comes out i guess the 980x is declared end of life at once by intel so the price might drop a considerable amount. Since the shops that still have need to get rid of it anyway, and just throwing them out is a waste of money.

Yes, the i7-980X performs better than the i7-875K. But you might want to wait a 1/2 year or a year until Sandy bridge becasue you will have to change your motherboard again, if your on a quad right now it's proably not worth upgrading.Otherwise you don't have to wait for the 990X becasue it's the same as the 980X but just with .1Ghz more speed so if you overclock there's not point in going for this new CPU.

Guest GTJ

Thanks to all who replied. The information is very much appreciated. I was planning a rebuild in the near future. However, unfortunately my immediate need for a new build is necessitated by the absence of my FS rig due to a recent burglary. (sign of the times). It seems to only make sense to build with a MOBO with the LGA 1366 socket. I would like to wait for the i7-990X, However, I cannot be without my FS rig for 6 months or possibly more . I was already on Quad paired with a GTX280SC. Not wanting to drop a ton of bucks, given the future release of the 990, I most probably should use a less expensive i7-900 series CPU for now. I seriously doubt that there will be much of a market for used i7-980x units. The i7-930 and 950 are obvious choices as they are not too far apart from a pricing standpoint. Any recommendations or experience for FSX with these 2 CPU s?

I was saying the 980X is virtualy the same as the 990X so if you have enough now than it's not worth waiting.But if you decided on going for the lower end i7s it's the i7-950 for sure, it costs 10$ more and has a higher speed it's a no brainer