Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest SnowPilot697

"Failed to read from file"

Guest SnowPilot697

Hi all,I'm probably just about the youngest member on this forum, but that's not what the topic is about.I have been playing FSX demo for a year, ever since I was 11. I had around 10 fps on my old box but now I am having a very weird problem.When I start FSX demo, the FSX demo thingie (the rectangle with the demo name that comes up before the main menu) comes up as usual, but if you open task manager it lists it as not responding. After around 2 minutes, it responds, then proceeds to the main menu, but at that same time, there comes up a message saying "Failed to read from file" and the only option is "OK". I have no idea what file, but after that FSX crashes straight to the desktop, and then Google Chrome goes Aw Snap, applications fail to open, missing file names on desktop and basically I'm screwed till I restart my computer. this happens with or without Google Chrome open.It's really bugging me b/c I'm a FS enthusiast and my computer also meets all the requirements, even though it's very crappy... I'm getting FSX deluxe and a new computer at the end of the year, buut I would like my current problem solved first, so I know what to do if this happens again, as it does not seem to be a hardware problem. By the way, I've done a virus scan, and it's clean. English demo from the official site.System specs: 3.2 GHz Pentium 4, 1 GB RAM and ATi Radeon 9550 256MB. I know it's crap but it meets the requirements. I have also done a DXDiag test, and "DirectDraw test results: Failure at step 17 (SetDisplayMode to 640x480x16): HRESULT = 0x80004001 (Not implemented)Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 39 (SetDisplayMode to 640x480x16): HRESULT = 0x80004001 (Not implemented)"Help would be greatly appreciated(:

Guest jahman

Since you seem to be having a DirectX problem, make sure you have the latest DirectX June 2010 Update for starters.Also I would recommend you get FSX Gold from FS Pilot Shop ($30) as it's really affordable these days and should run OK on your PC (you have the minimum 256 MBy video RAM)as long as you stick to the smaller aircraft that come with FSX. I ran FSX SP1 for about a year and a half on a P4 2.5 GHz PC with a 64 MBy Video card! :-)HTH,- jahman.

Guest SnowPilot697

Meh , I said I was getting a new computer, preferably one with a 1GB video card, as my current desktop is failing. Anyway, I think the June 2010 version of DirectX does not support XP, does it?