Sign in to follow this  
Guest lamont

Bermuda / Hurricane flying

Just for the heck of it, I used the download real weather feature and then used the goto to place myself at Bermuda Intl (this was in the default Cessna). I could barely see the buildings and from the spot view, you could see the rain going sideways. Never got a chance to take off. I started to taxi and as I turned 90 degrees from where I started out, the aircraft lifted off the ground and cartwheeled 3 or 4 times in the air. All the while, ATC is yelling that I hadn't been cleared for takeoff. So ended my very short career as a hurricane hunter. It's worth trying, though I'd suggest something with a little heft to it. John Fitzpatrick

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi John:Having hunted hurricanes in real life with VW-1, Navy hurricane hunters, you have to fly into them with the circulation. You are right a cessna won't cut it. Thirty some odd years ago we used EC-121's, specially outfitted Lockheed super constellations.

Ditto on the Cessna. I used it because it was the default aircraft and I wasn't even sure if anything would show at Bermuda. Later I ran a flight using the 737 from Miami to Bermuda. Arriving at Bermuda, it gave a fairly good representation with almost zero visibility and some wicked crosswinds. The problem was that running the default online weather system, I couldn't get a weather briefing as I approached Bermuda as there wasn't any ATIS, so I really couldn't tell exactly how well it duplicated the hurricane in terms of wind speeds. John Fitzpatrick

Given the limitations of FS it would probably be difficult to simulate a weather system such as a hurricane, typhoon or tornado. You could probably get pretty good surface weather from stations reporting in the area, not sure about the upper wind layers though.