Sign in to follow this  
Guest aca_dia

Nvidia Video Card Question

Just getting another computer in the house and I will be able to use it as my primary system for running MSFS2004. I have a video card question for folks.My older machine has a 128mb Geforce 4 Ti4400The new machine comes with an OEM 128MB DDR NVIDA GEFORCE FX 5200 I know the FX is newer, but is this particular card a weaker version of the FX series? Am I better off switching the older card into the new machine?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have the 5200 and completely love it for its price, only thing it doesnt do decently in FS is its AA- which hopefully will be fixed. But if you like to fly in windowed mode (or dont mind it) you'll be good to go. I too had to buy a new computer and had limited money left, so the 5200 was my choice... I know there are a lot of bad things said about it but I have never expienced them :)Happy Flying,Jason :-wave

Jason, you'll be much happier with the new system if you put the GF4 in it. The GFFX is a total waste of silicon (I should know, I have one).-Max Cowgill

I figured I should ditch the FX 5200. 2004 actually runs great by my standards on my old P3 800 512mb with the Geforce 4 card. With 3D clouds off and reasonable settings I get a solid 20-25FPS (I always have solid clouds for approach practice for real worl flying).Im guessing I should see some frame rate increase with a P4 2.4?