Sign in to follow this  
Guest nramsey

To the computer gurus!

I have problems with Fs2004!I have a medium-high system, PIV 2.56 GHZ, Asus GE4 128 MB, 512 MB of RAM, WinXP Pro, with latest sound and video card drivers.Yet, quite often, with some aircrafts loaded (for example, SSW A310 or even the default B747!), FS9 closes by itself, and WindowsXP Task Manager shows up to 1.5 GB of page file usage! In addition, Windows often claims then that is is low in virtual memory (I have more than 1 GB of virtual memory asigned). I also see stutters and a long loading time for VC panels (for the SSW A310 up to 50 seconds!!!) What is the meaning of this high value of page file usage? Is the 512 MB RAM not enough? I am considering to add an aditional 256 MB but I am not sure whether this will solve the problem.Any help/suggestion much appreciated. Edmundo

Edmundo Azevedo

Guest nramsey

Humm, I have 512mb RAM and have never seen this occur. How much free disk space do you have?

Guest cw1011

I've never seen that happen either - actually, I've run a lot of flights with the Windows system manager working and never seen it go above half a gig - I ahve 764 megs of RAM. Have you tried limiting the size of the virtual memory file? I have mine limited, though I'm at work and can't tell you the specifics. A quick search using virtual memory or page file will give you some good guidelines. I also wonder about how full your HD is. MS programs get very unstable when they have no head room on the HD

Thanks guys for your input!I gave about 10 Gb of free disk space and I have limited the virtual memory to close 1 GB.Thats odd that you also have 512 MB. Do you use WinXP?RegardsEdmundo

Edmundo Azevedo

Guest nramsey

I'd say try increasing your virtual memory size to 2 gb and see what happens. I think the default VM max size for XP is something like 1.5 gb isn't it? Worth a shot anyways...remember, FS is a pretty big app, and if it's really giving you virtual memory errors you might as well try to up it some.