Sign in to follow this  

I don't know why AMD is doing this, but I feel it worthwhile to point out that the new Radeon 6870 and 6850 coming out very soon are meant to be successors to the 5770 and 5750 cards. There is another release cycle coming soon after that will introduce 6970 and 6950 parts meant to succeed the 58xx series of cards. Maybe AMD hopes to sucker people into buying the 68xx series?? Sometimes the way companies name their components really makes no sense to me. Intel and AMD have also been horrible at their CPU numbering schemes in the past. Bleh.

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Founder/Designer, MSE Airports

Guest freebird77

Good point that is a lesson to learn to avoid waisting money.Everyone should do their homework, find out and compare before buying anything.Just because its "next gen" or higher model number doesn't necessarily make it a better performing part. Thanks for posting!

Guest jahman

Sorry to disappoint, but AMDs naming strategy makes perfect sense to me!AMD offers a line of different video cards at different price points (value, mainstream, performance), and every year comes with a new, more powerful generation of graphics processors, while keeping the same pricepoint structures.The graphics processor generation is the first digit (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and now 6), while the pricepoint model is the next two digits. So top performance single GPU models are the HD 3870, 4870, 5870 and 6870, while the dual GPU models had a slight naming convention change: 3870X2, 4870X2, 5970, and 6970. Mainstream would be HD 3850, 4850, 5850 and 6850, etc. See the complete list of AMD/ATI Graphics Adapters for the full list of models.Contrary to what you are saying:

the new Radeon 6870 and 6850 coming out very soon are meant to be successors to the 5770 and 5750 cards
the new Radeon 6870 and 6850 are meant to be successors to the 5870 and 5850 cards!
There is another release cycle coming soon after that will introduce 6970 and 6950 parts meant to succeed the 58xx series of cards
In this case the 6970 and 6950 parts meant to succeed the 59xx series of cards.Don't see any malicious naming strategy here.Cheers,- jahman.

Guest veeray

Jahman correct... all the 6000 series are infact better than their 5000 counterparts, much better stream processor wise. The only difference these days is chip manufacturers are no longer producing extreme models right off the bat.

Guest freebird77
Contrary to what you are saying:the new Radeon 6870 and 6850 are meant to be successors to the 5870 and 5850 cards!In this case the 6970 and 6950 parts meant to succeed the 59xx series of cards.Don't see any malicious naming strategy here.Cheers,- jahman.
Wrong.If that were true what explains why the 6870 is slower than the 5870? Becausee it was meant to replace the 57XX not 58XX.See how confusing it is?The original poster was correct, do some research, the benchmarks already show this to be true which is why the info was posted.

Guest jahman
Wrong.If that were true what explains why the 6870 is slower than the 5870? Becausee it was meant to replace the 57XX not 58XX.See how confusing it is?The original poster was correct, do some research, the benchmarks already show this to be true which is why the info was posted.
Leaked reviews put the 6870 at 35% faster than the 5870 and 20% nVidia 480GTX (at least for non-FSX games). How could the 6870 then possibly be slower than the 5870?So maybe you are the one that needs to do some research! (And back your claims with URLs).Cheers,- jahman.

Guest freebird77
Leaked reviews put the 6870 at 35% faster than the 5870 and 20% nVidia 480GTX (at least for non-FSX games). How could the 6870 then possibly be slower than the 5870?So maybe you are the one that needs to do some research! (And back your claims with URLs).Cheers,- jahman.
Posting a link to a forum thread dated back in August / early September is a good source?There are much more fresh numbers posted just this past week that seem a bit more reliable as the release is now upon us rather than that older suspect thread.Newer HereI hope you are right and the other Tech-sites wrong, but thats not what seems to be out there regarding these cards.Thanks for posting anyways Jahman, its what keeps this forum more helpful.Best regards.

Guest veeray

you know we do have forum rules for a reason.....www.gpureview.comThat cards side by side.. funny I don't see a 6870 in there at all.

Guest freebird77
you know we do have forum rules for a reason.....www.gpureview.comThat cards side by side.. funny I don't see a 6870 in there at all.
Thats because GPUreview is a subpar resource for info...

Guest veeray

freebird: Stop trolling dude... the site is for reference information how in the world do you have an opinion on that?

Guest freebird77
freebird: Stop trolling dude... the site is for reference information how in the world do you have an opinion on that?
Troll?Talking%20Ear%20Off.gif You post that the conversation at hand has no relevance because as you point out it is not on the list of a subpar wanna-be tech-site = Your the TrollShame%20On%20You.gif .How do I have an opinion on that site that YOU used as a reference?:Hypnotized: Its simple. the site you used as a reference is incomplete, out of date and would never make it on a list of credable tech-sites.:Loser: Have anything else to add to the conversation that is at least relevant?:Praying:

Troll?Talking%20Ear%20Off.gif You post that the conversation at hand has no relevance because as you point out it is not on the list of a subpar wanna-be tech-site = Your the TrollShame%20On%20You.gif .How do I have an opinion on that site that YOU used as a reference?:Hypnotized: Its simple. the site you used as a reference is incomplete, out of date and would never make it on a list of credable tech-sites.:Loser: Have anything else to add to the conversation that is at least relevant?:Praying:
Again! Really, stop bugging everyone, you could just say nicely I dont think thats a dependable site. And at least say why...

Guest freebird77
Again! Really, stop bugging everyone, you could just say nicely I dont think thats a dependable site. And at least say why...
Yeah, I should should just say nicely...after being called a troll...Quit being such a nanny, I posted useful info to back up the topic. And why exactly are you here?...Talking%20Ear%20Off.gifeyeball_e0.gifeyeball_e0.gif

Yeah, I should should just say nicely...after being called a troll...Quit being such a nanny, I posted useful info to back up the topic. And why exactly are you here?...Talking%20Ear%20Off.gifeyeball_e0.gifeyeball_e0.gif
No all you did was say this he's link was obsolite and blablabla.... and is there a problem with me being here? (on subject) I can't wait to see the benchmarks from the HD 6970 and 6990 that will be interesting.