Sign in to follow this  
Guest mikehaska

A worrying experiance

Yesterday whilst on a united A320 from TPA to IAD i experianced quite a worrying situation, i was listening to good old channel 9, everything was fine until he aircraft i was on stopped replying to atlanta center. For over 5 minutes they were calling out for our aircraft but there was still no reply. i began to get worried as the calls became more frantic, i soon got concerned about the pilot well beign and thought about the worst case scenario. i walked up to the front flight attendant and told her what was happening, she soon called the cockpit using the phones to check out what the problem was soon after that the pilots of our plane began replying i missed what their explaination was to atc for the problem. the Flight attendent then explained that the pilots were monitering the wrong frequency or something like that and she thanked me for being concerned. Should this sort of thing worry me? would you have done the same thing? i was wondering how long it would before fighter jets were scrambled.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well, two points:1. You wouldn't have been shot down right away. The fighter jets would have tried to make visual contact with the flight deck, and would have got communicating before firing any missiles.2. It seems odd that you could hear ATC, but the pilots could not. I was under the assumption that channel nine was just a feed of what the flight deck was tuned to at the moment. I wonder what happened?Scary story, nonetheless! Lucky you were there and listening to Ch.9! :-)