As far as GA /vFR flying is concerned, they don't suffer the "S" turn problem and is just a case of going to the "Wind settings tab" in fsuipc (within fsx) and un ticking the boxes "gusts, turbulence and varience" and way you go.When flying the MD11 or LVLD767 Gusts, Varience are ticked and turbulence unticked.
Hi Julian,I am now back in England, sitting at my PC for FS and changing my settings to your recommended one.- Just to clarify, the text which I have quoted, in simple terms does it just mean that when flying MD11, Level-D 767 or when flying light VFR/GA flights fly with gusts, turbulence and variance switched off? And only use them on when flying the PMDG 747?Thanks,Jack

Guest nzch2010
Hi Julian,I am now back in England, sitting at my PC for FS and changing my settings to your recommended one.- Just to clarify, the text which I have quoted, in simple terms does it just mean that when flying MD11, Level-D 767 or when flying light VFR/GA flights fly with gusts, turbulence and variance switched off? And only use them on when flying the PMDG 747?Thanks,Jack
Hi Jack,Yes, just to clarify, for the 747, gusts, turbulence and variance boxes ticked (all 3). MD11, 763, Gusts and varience ticked, turbulence unticked. As far as the GA is concerned, you can experiment with the 3 boxes. Remember, GA aircraft don't suffer the S turns. But too see if you get any severe wind shifts, try the GA with the same settings as the MD11. Let me know your results with the 4 different aircraft. Once you get back to me with you results, I will work on the numbers and see if I can improve this. CheersJulian

Hi Julian,A couple of hours ago I completed BA0219, EGLL->KDEN in the 744 (over 9 hour flight time) and the result in terms of weather was excellent. Using all of the settings which you have recommended for ASE, FSX and FSUIPC gave a result of no wind shift problems and the removal of the beyond annoying 'S' turns. The weather and aloft wind depiction was very accurate, so this all seemed perfect.Hopefully tomorrow I will do some testing in some other aircraft and see which settings appear to work best for those.I'd like to thank you very much for your help so far, as it has resulted (in this first test) as wished.Thanks!biggrin.gifJack

Guest nzch2010
Hi Julian,A couple of hours ago I completed BA0219, EGLL->KDEN in the 744 (over 9 hour flight time) and the result in terms of weather was excellent. Using all of the settings which you have recommended for ASE, FSX and FSUIPC gave a result of no wind shift problems and the removal of the beyond annoying 'S' turns. The weather and aloft wind depiction was very accurate, so this all seemed perfect.Hopefully tomorrow I will do some testing in some other aircraft and see which settings appear to work best for those.I'd like to thank you very much for your help so far, as it has resulted (in this first test) as wished.Thanks!biggrin.gifJack
Your welcome Jack , keep me posted , I am working on further settings that I hope will make it even better. But it is trial and error. The GA results will be interesting, so let me know how that goes.CheersJulian

Let me know your results with the 4 different aircraft.
Hi Julian,I have now flown some test flights with the PMDG 744, Level-D 763 and the PMDG MD11.
  1. The flight with the 747 was flown with all three ticked (gusts, turbulence and variance). - This flight seemed perfect, with no wind shifts or S turns. - All good here.
  2. The flight with the 767 was flown with just gusts and variance ticked, and there were no problems here either.
  3. Tonight I flew with the MD11 from ENTC (Tromsø, Northern Norway) to BIAR (Akureyri, Northern Iceland) and approximately half way through I had the dreaded S turns. Initially this was flown as you had recommended (with just gusts and variance ticked), but after the S turns I quickly ticked the turbulence tick-box, and there was an instant irradiation of the S turns.

I have not yet tried any flights in light GA airframes, but I think with whichever settings (within reason) that I use for this, I would doubt that there would be a problem. I will however, update you one a test on this has also been flown, and continue to update you on other aircraft should I notice any irregularities. Thanks,Jack

Guest nzch2010
Hi Julian,I have now flown some test flights with the PMDG 744, Level-D 763 and the PMDG MD11.
  1. The flight with the 747 was flown with all three ticked (gusts, turbulence and variance). - This flight seemed perfect, with no wind shifts or S turns. - All good here.
  2. The flight with the 767 was flown with just gusts and variance ticked, and there were no problems here either.
  3. Tonight I flew with the MD11 from ENTC (Tromsø, Northern Norway) to BIAR (Akureyri, Northern Iceland) and approximately half way through I had the dreaded S turns. Initially this was flown as you had recommended (with just gusts and variance ticked), but after the S turns I quickly ticked the turbulence tick-box, and there was an instant irradiation of the S turns.

I have not yet tried any flights in light GA airframes, but I think with whichever settings (within reason) that I use for this, I would doubt that there would be a problem. I will however, update you one a test on this has also been flown, and continue to update you on other aircraft should I notice any irregularities. Thanks,Jack

Thanks for the update Jack. The S turns in the MD11 has me puzzled. Normally as a rule it performes just like the 763. In fact, as I type this I am flying between KBOS and KORD and at altitude of FL370. I did get turbulence during the climb, but no :S: turns. Did you load a flight plan in ASE ? I haven't and has me thinking. You can prob here my brain ticking in blighty.:(

Thanks for the update Jack. The S turns in the MD11 has me puzzled. Normally as a rule it performes just like the 763. In fact, as I type this I am flying between KBOS and KORD and at altitude of FL370. I did get turbulence during the climb, but no :S: turns. Did you load a flight plan in ASE ? I haven't and has me thinking. You can prob here my brain ticking in blighty.:(
I will continue to fly some more test flights, and if this result surprises you then I will fly the MD11 again with turbulance unticked. When I experienced what I though was S turns I quickly ticked the turbulance box and this seemed to stop the problem. I may however, have been mistaken this for some quite heavy turbulance. Next time I will continue with it unticked for a while and analyse the movements more closely. Only when I am certain that they are S turns will I tick Suppress Turbulance and see the difference which it makes.Just for your reference I always load my flightplans into ASE unless I am flying a short VFR hop/circuits, etc. - Generally my flightplans are exported from vroute in the FSX format and loaded into ASE.Thanks,Jack

Guest nzch2010
I will continue to fly some more test flights, and if this result surprises you then I will fly the MD11 again with turbulance unticked. When I experienced what I though was S turns I quickly ticked the turbulance box and this seemed to stop the problem. I may however, have been mistaken this for some quite heavy turbulance. Next time I will continue with it unticked for a while and analyse the movements more closely. Only when I am certain that they are S turns will I tick Suppress Turbulance and see the difference which it makes.Just for your reference I always load my flightplans into ASE unless I am flying a short VFR hop/circuits, etc. - Generally my flightplans are exported from vroute in the FSX format and loaded into ASE.Thanks,Jack
Hi Jack,Looks like we need to treat the MD11 the same as the 747,with all three boxes ticked. 5 mins after my last post it did a massive "S" turn ( HD 296/79 ) so looks like under certain conditions it does it. Least we know.I thought I would try without a flight plan ( I also use Vroute and import into ASE and RC4) . I can live with the three boxes ticked.The only other issue I am having now with these settings is incorrect destination weather in Radar contact. CheersJulian

The only other issue I am having now with these settings is incorrect destination weather in Radar contact. CheersJulian
Julian,I am having this exact same problem. I have been unable to get ASE and RC4 to report the correct destination weather using DWC, no matter what I try. I am glad someone else is having this issue as I was thinking it was only me...http://forum.avsim.net/topic/321589-strange-airport-weather-reports/Jonathan

Guest nzch2010
Julian,I am having this exact same problem. I have been unable to get ASE and RC4 to report the correct destination weather using DWC, no matter what I try. I am glad someone else is having this issue as I was thinking it was only me...http://forum.avsim.n...eather-reports/Jonathan
Hi Jonathan,Flew into KORD, and ATC vectored me to ILS 38 and against opposing AI dep from opposing runway. Pete Dowson has an update for FSUIPC available later today, so will try that. Not saying that FSUIPC is the problem. it could be a simconnect /ASE/RC4 issue. It happes to some and not others. I am going to spend the next few days trying to get to the bottom of it, checking my set up and see what happens with different settings. Hover this forum Jonathan. and will let you know how it goes. CheersJulian

Guest nzch2010
Hi Jonathan,Flew into KORD, and ATC vectored me to ILS 38 and against opposing AI dep from opposing runway. Pete Dowson has an update for FSUIPC available later today, so will try that. Not saying that FSUIPC is the problem. it could be a simconnect /ASE/RC4 issue. It happes to some and not others. I am going to spend the next few days trying to get to the bottom of it, checking my set up and see what happens with different settings. Hover this forum Jonathan. and will let you know how it goes. CheersJulian
Hi Jack, and Jonathan, I highly recommend you guys download the latest update http://fsuipc.simfli.../FSUIPC4648.zip and overwrite your current version. I am getting the best weather and radar contact is reading the weather perfectly. Let me know what you both think.CheersJulian

Hi Jack, and Jonathan, I highly recommend you guys download the latest update http://fsuipc.simfli.../FSUIPC4648.zip and overwrite your current version. I am getting the best weather and radar contact is reading the weather perfectly. Let me know what you both think.CheersJulian
Hi Julian,I have downloaded this, (and of course backed up the old file). Can you confirm in terms of weather, that the settings should be kept the same the as previously discussed?- Just for your reference all my flying is completed online on Vatsim, so I don't use Radar ContactThanks,Jack

Guest nzch2010
Hi Julian,I have downloaded this, (and of course backed up the old file). Can you confirm in terms of weather, that the settings should be kept the same the as previously discussed?- Just for your reference all my flying is completed online on Vatsim, so I don't use Radar ContactThanks,Jack
Hi Jack,Just keep things the same CheersJulian

Hi Jack,Just keep things the same CheersJulian
Hi Julian,Just flown BA851 (EPWA->EGLL) with the new FSUIPC in the Level D 767, and the weather depiction seemed to be pretty excellent!I will keep you updated, thanks for the link by the way.Thanks,Jack

Guest nzch2010

Hi Jack,That's good news, I thought it might be my imagination, but it seemed better depiction. Even got some light chop on decent. All got stuff.Don't think I will tweak it anymore, think I have tweaked it to death. CheersJulian