Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

FLY + Win7

Happy new year everyone! May 2011 be prosperous and safe for you and yours!Over the holiday, I relocated my FLY! software. I tried to run it on my WIN7 machine with the WIN7 OS and then I attempted to run it in emulated WIN98 mode. Of course, neither worked. Has anyone succeeded in getting FLY! to work in WIN7? If so, how? Also, jog this ancient memory for me... Was FLY2 a patch or download? Also, were there patches to just FLY1 and if so, where could I find those?Thanks for any assistance!

Hi Tom,I've been successful in getting the original Fly! program to run. I installed the CDs, then patched her up to version 1.0.88, then played around with the VCF control file for the video until I found the right combination. That is what took the most time doing, as these newer computers have a distinctive mark in their video when one considers original Fly! was for now much older video cards (my GeForce TI4200 was considered new yet a modest performer for Fly! back then). Fly!II was a new program - updated stand-alone (not an upgrade) to original Fly!. Also, you have to tweak the render.ini file (in the system Folder) a little bit to attempt to match it up to what you video card has for the texture slots.So yes, Fly! will run on Win7, but it will take as much effort - if not a little more - under Win98 / Win XP. Compatibility mode did not really work well for me under Win7. Main thing is tweaking out the VCF file once you have patched up to version 1.0.88 (or was it 87??) Sheesh! Old age has caught up with me! LOL!Just checked the Fly! library section... Looks like we lost quite a lot of the files in the hack. Know we had a lot of Rob Young's plane fixes to version 88 at one time. Too bad we cannot get permission from the TRI people to re-upload, as I know I have many of the planes and fairly sure I have all the required patches still somewhere on CDs. Best regards,

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster