Sign in to follow this  

Free Web Based Email Question

Can anyone recomend a good, free, web based email system (like Hotmail and Yahoo) that doesn't bombard you with loads of spam emails(unlike Hotmail and Yahoo ;-))? I signed up for a Yahoo account around a week ago, and already I've had around 30 junk messages that I never even asked for!!! I have no idea where they got the address from (probably just spamming everyone at Yahoo I guess :-(). I also have a Hotmail account, but I get loads of rubbish there too :-(. I looked at Apple's .Mac (or iTools or whatever it's called now), but I suspect that it's only available to Mac users, and also they're going to start charging for the system :-(.So, any ideas?Thanks,Dave.

Hi Dave,I don't know if it is any help, but I had the same problem with HOTMAIL - after that I set my "junk filter" to exclusive and just reviewed the folder every couple of days - now everything I want gets through fine, the junk does not..... and by the way, it is much less iritating going through your junk mail folder than wading through your junk in your mailbox. Strange but true !!!!

I have Yahoo and Hotmail. I must say that with Hotmail I am very dissapointed because they fill my INBOX with junk. I opened the Hotmail account 3 weeks ago and I have enver used it and never gave out te address yet it full of junk.The Yahoo...I never get junk. And if I do, maybe once a month I get a junk message, I just block the address. Are you sure that when you signed up with Yahoo you unticked all the things that they ask you "what do you want to receive e-amils about" . Anyway, I have Yahoo for 2 years now and I still don't get any junk. Take careMike

I have a friend with a Yahoo address that never gets spam or unsolicited junk.He tells me he never uses that email to sign up anywhere.Once you begin to sign up to places including sites such as this one.Tiny little bots roam these pages gleaning email addresses and then selling them to people. You just can't win. Everybody is doing it.If you want access to certain sites that require login then this is the price to pay.It's just the Internet, don't take it too seriously, we lived without it in the past and can live without it again.

Dave, I did drop Hotmail I guess about a year ago for the reason you mentioned. There was spam getting through everywhere and I was even using the junk mail feature. But the spam just kept increasing. I went with Yahoo and I was surprised to hear you say you've been bombarded with spam at Yahoo. I don't think I've ever received anything there that I don't remember signing up for. I agree with the two other posters that I've never had a problem using Yahoo. For that reason, I'm afraid I don't have much experience with anything else.

Hi Dave,A good alternative to the more popular "webmail" accounts is something like www.cjb.net. With CJB, you get a free email account and full access to it from a web interface, but you also have the option to use a standard POP interface for it as well. This is great for any possibility of spam because you can then run something like SpamNet to filter out 99 percent of spam that exists on the internet. I never get spam on my cjb account anyway, but even if some leaked through, SpamNet would catch it. Once setup, you can download at home with your standard email program, or when you are away you can get your mail through their webmail frontend. Even better, your email address is setup something like: whomever@yourchoice.cjb.net (eg: elrond@elbish.cjb.net). The "whomever" part can be anything such as your name, your wife's name, etc. And the http://yourchoice.cjb.net address can forward to any web page you have available (such as a GeoCities site, etc).I highly recommend CJB... They've been nothing but solid for many years. Beyond free email, they offer a ton of other free services as well, such as email forwarding, website forwarding, server forwarding (Dynamic DNS service), etc.http://www.cjb.netGood luck,Elrondhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/Boycott-RIAA.gif]"A musician without the RIAA, is like a fish without a bicycle."[/font://http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/B...cle."[/b][/font://http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/B...cle."[/b][/font