Sign in to follow this  
postpone

Fix

Hi folks,Have just purchased the PMDG B744 and F series for FS9, bit behind the times but better late than never ..! I am quite amazed by the quality of this package, have already done two mid range flights to get the feel of things and enjoyed every moment.Ok, a question if I may, how can I input a fix on the legs page for the extended center line of a runway I am about to depart on, bearing + distance too. ? thanks,Steve.

Once you have the FMC all set up (Perf, Route, and all that) and you have entered the runway you are taking off from, go to your EFIS panel and press the WPT button. Zoom out to either 10 or 20, look for a way point that follows the runway center line. its easier to read these things if you set the distance to 10 Nmi. Once you have found the way point that you want to use, go to the LEGS page. Type the way point that you are going to add and insert it over your first way point. You are then going to get a discontinuity message, clear the discontinuity by selecting the way point below it, and then inserting it where the five zero's are ( 00000 ) then just execute the command. That is for physically inserting it into your route.If you want the bearing and distance, press the FIX button, and type in the way point, and insert it in line 1L (where the -----'s are). In the center of that screen you will see the heading (bearing) and the distance Ttype that information in, i.e 159/10 and input this in the line below your fix......it will be line 2L, you can use any distance you want, 10,15, or 20. I would use 10. Doing this step.That is the manual way of doing it. In the fix page you can press the button next to <ABEAM (note that it doesn't work for all way points) and <ABEAM will now have information, if you press this button again, it will simplify this and allow you to input this information to your legs page. basically it will say the way point name heading and distance example XXXXX111/111 or whatever it generates. I DO NOT LIKE DOING IT THIS WAY. try the first way I described. I don't ever do this. When ATC gives me a heading to fly to , I manually fly the plane there........others like the hit CMD a second after take off......its all about personal preference, and I'm not judging.BUT, it is easier sometimes to do this, seeing as were simmers, we have to act as a 2 man crew, it can be tricky executing all the commands while having to man the radios, flaps, landing gears, drop the landing gear to the middle position to kill the hydraulics to them, meanwhile trying to maintain a VNAV climb, so we don't have to fiddle with the throttles, while watching the flight director......all before the turn to heading is even completed............trust me, I get it. and thats the perfect thing about the PMDG 747, there are many ways to fly her.

Hi Tim,Many thx, great reply will run thru it, reason why I ask is some airports have no SIDS and having done my flightplan and got airbourne results in a unrealistic sharp turn to the first waypoint, I also like to fly the departure by hand, I could just fly the runway heading to x dme and re execute the first wp in the fmc to get a more sensible departure ( if that makes sense ) but thought it would be better to add my own point via the legs page. On another flight now, trackir in the vc, wonderful..!regards,Steve.