Sign in to follow this  
PGBosak

Place/Bearing/Distance Waypoints MD-11

Hi Captains,on my todays IVAO WT trip to Cape Verde island [iCAO: GVAC] i noticed a strange event with Place Bearing/Distance function of the FMC and i tried toreproduce it after landing, (as seen on the screenshots below)I wasn't in the mood to fly headings to intercept the Localizer from PINPO 1S arrival route to RWY 01, today i tried to help myself with an PBD waypoint (intentional no usage of DIR INTC function!)The VOR is called "CVS" [frequency 115,3] and the the VOR/LOC course to the runway is 012°As i did it in approach i got an "entry out of range" message by the mcdu. the input data was:#############CVS/012/-15#############that should normally work i think, based on the manuals or the PMDG support notes:http://support.precisionmanuals.com/KB/a59/fmc-custom-waypoint-entry-notes.aspxAfter landing, i reloaded FSX, placed my MD-11 on RWY 01input first with positive distance:############CVS/012/15############works fine, but a PBD waypoint with negative distance (15DME before the VOR on that course) issues what you see in the screenshots, btw it does even with closer distance:###########CVS/012/-15###########My question now is why? thx for you interest

The entry in the FMC for Place Bearing Distance waypoints is this: PPP(PP)BBB.B/DD.DSo, PPP rapresent the identifier of the waypoint/VOR/NDB, BBB.B the bearing from it, and DDD.D the distance... The distance must be set POSITIVE if i remember correctly...I don't know but i never separate the place identifier and the bearing with a /...I suggest you to use the respective bearing and not the negative value, so in your example you can set CVS192/15 and it will work...In the along track waypoints you can use also the negative values, but you must set it starting from a WP yet active in your flight plan. (and you can't set the bearing, it will be taken on the magenta line on the ND, so the actual track you will fliy from/to the WP...)Hope this helps,Cheers,

Hi Captains,on my todays IVAO WT trip to Cape Verde island [iCAO: GVAC] i noticed a strange event with Place Bearing/Distance function of the FMC and i tried toreproduce it after landing, (as seen on the screenshots below)I wasn't in the mood to fly headings to intercept the Localizer from PINPO 1S arrival route to RWY 01, today i tried to help myself with an PBD waypoint (intentional no usage of DIR INTC function!)The VOR is called "CVS" [frequency 115,3] and the the VOR/LOC course to the runway is 012°As i did it in approach i got an "entry out of range" message by the mcdu. the input data was:#############CVS/012/-15#############that should normally work i think, based on the manuals or the PMDG support notes:http://support.precisionmanuals.com/KB/a59/fmc-custom-waypoint-entry-notes.aspxAfter landing, i reloaded FSX, placed my MD-11 on RWY 01input first with positive distance:############CVS/012/15############works fine, but a PBD waypoint with negative distance (15DME before the VOR on that course) issues what you see in the screenshots, btw it does even with closer distance:###########CVS/012/-15###########My question now is why? thx for you interest
Paul G,On the MD11 you can make:PBD's, meaning Place/Bearing/Distance to create a Waypoint where you want it.ORPD's meaning Place/+ or- Distance to create a Waypoint in the current flightplan, where you want it.Hope it helps to understand.Regards,Harry

The entry in the FMC for Place Bearing Distance waypoints is this: PPP(PP)BBB.B/DD.DSo, PPP rapresent the identifier of the waypoint/VOR/NDB, BBB.B the bearing from it, and DDD.D the distance... The distance must be set POSITIVE if i remember correctly...I don't know but i never separate the place identifier and the bearing with a /...I suggest you to use the respective bearing and not the negative value, so in your example you can set CVS192/15 and it will work...In the along track waypoints you can use also the negative values, but you must set it starting from a WP yet active in your flight plan. (and you can't set the bearing, it will be taken on the magenta line on the ND, so the actual track you will fliy from/to the WP...)Hope this helps,Cheers,
Paolo,Close to the real story.Regards,Harry

Paolo,Close to the real story.Regards,Harry
Just finished to read the FMS chapter about for being sure of what i've said...it's very near to the things written in...good memory this time, tongue.gifCheers,

Just finished to read the FMS chapter about for being sure of what i've said...it's very near to the things written in...good memory this time, tongue.gifCheers,
Paolo,Hope Paul G. gets it right.Regards,Harry

thank you guys for your help.i'll check this again, after my actual flight:-)