Sign in to follow this  
micstatic

New System Build. Advice desired.

I am mainly an FS9 user. I have FSX but have always found it to be too resource demanding to beviable. Further, I’ve been a loyal user of FSNavigator for years. It is only recently that equivalentnavigation software is emerging in my opinion. I also run FS9 with Rex OD, AS6.5, Squawkbox, VAT-SP. Most of the time I get great frame rates, butthere are some scenery packages I have that will bring me to the low 20’s. A few even to upper teens at times. With unlocked FPS, I can cruise and see100/200FPS. Just recently, I’ve triedlocking the FPS at 40. Doesn’t help muchthough for certain scenery. I’ve hadthe same computer for 4.5yrs, though have done some upgrades to it over theyears. I’d like to build my nextcomputer probably in March or April. So I realize prices will only go down. Also considering a 300gb SSD in place of the other HDmentioned below. Current System:Dell XPS 700Intel E6700 Core 2 Duo Conroe 2.66 GHZ. O/C to 3.2GHZ when running FS9NForce 590 SLI4GB Dual Channel DDR2 667mhz RAMNvidia GTX-460 1GBAsus Xonar D1 Sound CardWin 7 x64 Home PremDell 20in 2007FPW main display. Dell 1800FP for FSNav, Vat-spy, SquawkBoxOS/FS9 HD: 320gb Serial ATA 3gb/s 7200RPM Seagate Upgrade System:Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932 Full TowerMB: AsusP8P67 Pro IntelCPU: Inteli7 2600KRAM: PatriotPXD38G 1600mhz Cooler: CorsairH50PSU: CoolerMaster RS800 800 Watt Modular. HD: WDVelociRaptor 300gb 3gb/s 10,000 RPM. OS: Win7 ProFan Ctrl: NZXTSentry LX LCD What do you guys think? Thanks!

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Also the new ram would be 8gb.

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Looks good,Are you purchasing a new graphics card on your new system?I'd suggest getting a second 7200RPM 64MB drive for OS/Data and keep FSX ONLY on the VRap. A 300GB SSD will be very expensive and not necessarily needed. The VRap will suffice.

Looks good,Are you purchasing a new graphics card on your new system?I'd suggest getting a second 7200RPM 64MB drive for OS/Data and keep FSX ONLY on the VRap. A 300GB SSD will be very expensive and not necessarily needed. The VRap will suffice.
I am going to bring the graphics card over from my current system. I already have another spare internal hard drive I could use for the OS. However wouldn't it be counter productive to have the game running at 10,000RPM, while the OS would be on a slower drive? Anybody know anything about that cooler? I intend to do some overclocking.

The cooler is fine for OCing, just watch your temps. FSX will benefit from the 10k, especially in loading and texture loading. The OS is fine on a 7200.