Sign in to follow this  
Johnny767

Overclocking Analogy

Folks,Like many of you, I've been simmming for several years now (since 1998). And, it wasn't until a few months ago that I decided to jump into FSX, build a FSX-capable-computer, and then Overclocked my CPU...And, I may not have much experience or much knowledge as some of you do; however, I believe I have learned a bit more than the basics on building and OC my system. After, I got the basic-intermediate-to-intermediate-advance knowledge on OC, I've been asking myself some questions and I'm wondering what your thoughts are.There are a bunch of programs out there to use as benchmarks to score CPUs and GPU. But, why is FSX used very little to none for testing how well an OC is--even among the aviation enthusiasts ? Let me provide you with my personal experience...I have been experimenting OC my computer and I've been pushing it along the way. (perhaps it may break one of these days, but that's ok; that's not my concern). Along the way, I've come to OC my i7 950 to 4.60 Ghz whenever I test the OC with several stress test programs out there, it crashes in about an hour. However, when I test it with FSX, I can load it heavily (high settings in FSX, and high-end addons such as PMDG, Level D, Wilco. etc.etc.),and fly for hours and hours and it never crashes...I don't think FSX uses 100% of the CPU's capacity, like the stress tests programs do, correct?--- I've read of people stress-testing their system for 24 hours...really? Why ? Why 24 hours?..Do you play your game for 24 hours none-stop? What do you get for stress testing it for so many hours?...Besides a high electric bill ! I know some of you guys have a lot of knowledge and are very technical, but even so...Is it really necessary to stress test your CPU for hours and hours, then you launch FSX and it crashes within 15 minutes?--- Final thoughts: I can imagine stress-testing your computer for hours and hours (possibly even over-night), will certainly bring you a high electric bill, shorten the life of your CPU by "several months, if not years...I don't know),and NOT necessarily prove your computer is AT LEAST 98.8% STABLE, until you put to the "real world"...what are your thoughts? My Computer: Windows 7 (64bit)6 Gb of RAM 1600 (7-7-7-20)2 HD WD Raptors 10,000RPMJesus and Nick's RecommendationsIntel i7 950 CPULiquid Cooling Sytem for the CPU........... V-core 1.4800.... Temps remains between 68-72 degrees, Celsius under Load)ASUS Motherboard: x58850 Watts PSUExternal FPS limiter (30)Nvidia 580 EVGA Video Card (Nvidia Inspector and EVGA Precision for Fan Control-- No graphics card OC)FSX setings at 75%LOD: 6.5And, this thing runs like a dream. (but, trust me it took lot's of money, lot's of tweaking, lot's of knowledge (thanks again Vic, *******, and Nick...and of course many of you guys), and lot's of experimenting ! (And, lot's of patience). Do I need Sandy?...Well, maybe not for now... My wife will be very jealous if I call Sandy ! :Secret: John

Did I say something wrong, deer? Everybody is silent. Oh dear !There's not much enthusiasm. :Worried:
Hi Johnny,Nice Specs!Weekends are always slow on here. For the most part I agree with everything you said. As far as I know I have never had a CPU become unstable or bluescreen in FSX or any other useful application due to being in an unstable overclock. I ran my i7 930 between 4.3 and 4.4 on air since the day I got it. Sure, early on it crashed during some severe benchmark OCCT type tests after a few hours at lower clock levels than that, but everyday it was perfect for everything else for a long time, and was just replaced a couple of days ago by my new Sandy Bridge. I got g3d.dlls now and again and screen freezes when running my 470 GTX at 480 GTX levels, but never for an unstable CPU as far as I know. Now mind you, I never went for broke and overclocked into hot and dangerous levels, but was always near the top end of what was considered extreme. What does happen too often, in my opinion, and as you indicate, many people over-do it and wear out their machines by having them perform stress tests at rediculous torture levels over extended periods of time, but never put them at such risk during any gameplay.Kind regards,

Well, running Prime for 24h is no big deal really as long as volts and temps are in check. It's not something you'll be doing in a daily basis anyway.Usually people run Prime for as many hours as the maximum they expect to be running their machines for normal use. For example if you are folding 24/7 you will want to test your system for long periods of time. Personally I run 10 full memory Linkpack tests & Prime95 for 8-10 hours