Sign in to follow this  
Guest cloudtops

FS9 Extra 300s is realistic?

Guest corallom

Hi,I would like to know some impressions about the flight model of Extra 300s in FS2004. I'm not a real pilot but I've seen some videos of acrobatic flights and I compared FS9 version with FS2002 one. I think FS2002 is MUCH more realistic: for example with FS2K2 I cant taxi perfectly with Extra, but I can reach the runway; with FS9 it is impossible for me to reach the runway: I crash after only few meters!!! Even in flight I think the behaviour is not goot.What do you think? Is there any pilot that can confirm? Or it's me that has no hope to become a virtual pilot?ByeMario

Tail draggers are very difficult to taxi. They behave completely different than nose wheel aircraft. So as far as the characteristics of that are concerned, I think it is as realistic as you can get with a $55 flight simulator. I have seen a few performances by Extra 300's, and it is amazing the tricks they can do in those aircraft. Kirby Chamblis has to be the best when it comes to aerobatics. Anyway, I have tried to perform some of the manuvers with the extra and I can accomplish most except for spins. Hammerheads seem fine, loops ofcourse are fine, rolls are great, stalls are a bit funny, tail slides are difficult and don't work that well with the FS Extra 300. Out of 5 stars, I would rate the Extra 300 a 3 on the flight performance characteristic realism scale.This coming from a real pilot that has been in aerobatic aircraft (Pitts).For the most part FS takes a lot of practice to perform aerobatics. And not all manuvers are possible.

Guest corallom

Thanks for the answer.Did you try the same aircraft in FS2K2? Which one do you think is more realistic?PS: I forgot to tell that I use NO Autorudder (I use home made pedals).Mario

>Did you try the same aircraft in FS2K2? Which one do you think>is more realistic?>The "more" realistic aircraft for performing aerobatic manuvers within the confines of MSFS................ is the (payware) RealAir Marchetti SF260 designed for FS2002. At least this is capable of tail-slides, as well as improved control in other manuvers such as snap-rolls, hammerheads, etc.In real life, the Extra would be an aircraft of choice over the SF260, as the Marchetti isn't designed for hardcore aerobatics. But for MSFS and any other sim I've run into, this simulated aircraft can't be beat for performing PC aerobatics. Note, it's not fully capable for FS2004....yet.I also took a few years of aerobatic courses in a Pitt's S2B, ten years ago.L.Adamson

Also do a search for the most recent Decathalon. I was flying this the other day and it is capable of spins, almost perfect hammer heads, and I even managed a knife edge pass. It is a bit underpowered compared to a Pitts or Extra, but it performs pretty well.

Guest cloudtops

Has anyone seen a copy of Bulldog done for 2002 or 2004 (Pitts S-2S)? I'll tell you, this guy Jim Leroy is a hoot.A direct link to his 1999 promo video (15+ MB):www.bulldogairshows.com/video/1999promo/1999promo.mpgor to the "Movies" page of his website:http://www.bulldogairshows.com/v2/movies.htmlKevin