Sign in to follow this  
fael097

wrong bump map name

im making a model, a simple box on 3ds max 2008, to export to fsx, but i cant export, if i have bump maps on my material.when i hit verify on the lod tool, i get this message:21168705.png(i already fix the LOD message, just the bump maps that are no go)and like this, it wont export properly.if i remove my bump maps, it will export just fine.i already tried renaming to everything, changing file formats, compression, but nothing works.perhaps someone knows whats the problem?thanks in advance!

I wish I could be more help but I don’t use this...I have a custom tool.For what it’s worth…As far as I know there is no required bump map naming convention…despite the wording of your error.I’ve used both *_Bump.bmp and *_normal.bmp successfully.I prefer to use .bmp’s and let XtoMdl retarget the textures as .dds (using the BMP2DDS flag)I have a question though…Why do you have what appears to be 2 maps with the same name?Is there an explanation for that?

I wish I could be more help but I don’t use this...I have a custom tool.For what it’s worth…As far as I know there is no required bump map naming convention…despite the wording of your error.I’ve used both *_Bump.bmp and *_normal.bmp successfully.I prefer to use .bmp’s and let XtoMdl retarget the textures as .dds (using the BMP2DDS flag)I have a question though…Why do you have what appears to be 2 maps with the same name?Is there an explanation for that?
yes... made a box that had a concrete material, with a concrete-like diffuse and bump maps.but i wanted a H painted on the top, so i assigned a different material to the top surface, with a different diffuse map, but same bump map.but i noticed that my problem is that i should simply ignore the naming error message that appears when you hit verify: apparently nobody uses the verify tool from aces, and if i simply ignore that and export anyways, it will work.thanks for your help!

Good to hear you found your solution.You might recall FS9 used extensive naming conversions to organize data.For instance, XML animation and visibility scripts where assigned by using a suffix in a model's name.Also FS9 textures used naming conventions…as far as I remember. (at that time there was no bump of course)So this error check in an FSX tool may just be an FS9-style legacy...that was never removed.One of the great advantages of FSX is they got rid of these naming conventions.Naming conventions for assignments are 'hacky'...they’re just really poor practice in this day and age.Of course you should still ought to develop a personal naming convention to organize your work. :(