Sign in to follow this  
Guest daveg4otu

VPN and Uninstall

I don't know if this has been posted before.............If you have installed the VPN Beta 13 or VPN 14us addon (This makes the Kneeboard into a web browser that you can use while flying) I have found that it places an uninstall.exe in the FS9 folder.Unfortunately it overwrites the FS9 program of the same name.What this means is that if you need to uninstall FS9,clicking on "Uninstall" only removes the upgraded Kneeboard leaving FS9 untouched and with no way of doing a clean uninstall.I found this by accident when I tried to uninstall a second copy of FS9 I had on another partition.Does anyone know on which FS9 Disk and in which Zip folder the "uninstall./exe" is located?The obvious solutuion is to rename the VPN uninstall.exe and copy the FS9 uninstall.exe from disk to FS9 folder .Dave

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The UNINSTAL.EXE file is actually the Setup.Exe file renamed UNINSTAL.EXE in the Flight Simulator 9 folder. Setup.Exe is located on FS2004 CD#1. Extract the file and place in the above folder. You could try double clicking the file and see if it asks you what you want to do. Also make sure you have SetupENU.dll in the same folder.If the above doesn't work, you might have to enter Windows registry, press Start, Run..., type regedit, OK. Caution! If you have Win98, Place the cursor on My Computer, press File, Export, select a name for your Registry Export file and remember where on your computer it is placed, then press OK to save a copy of the present registry. If you have problems after you make any registry changes, you can run Windows in the Safe Mode, double click on the saved registry file and it will return the registry to the unmodified version. If you have, WinME/XP, set a restore point, which is a known registry version.Open My ComputerHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator9.0. Right click on the 9.0, select Delete, then close the registry editor.You should be able to reinstall FS2004 at this point.W. Sieffert

OK- thanks for the info.I actually did it the hard way as it wouldn't uninstall for the reason I mentioned above(Delete manually and edit the registry by hand) .No problem there.Reason for asking is that my "Primary" copy of FS9 also has the VPN addon and,tho I have no plans to uninstall it (FS9),I thought it would be good to know where to find the overwritten .exe on the Disk in case I needed it in the future.CheersDave