Sign in to follow this  
Guest cwright

Ai aircraft crash into mountains

Hello,In FS2004, I added an ai flightplan into Narsarsuaq, and I noticed that the plane flew into the terrain while on approach for runway 25. I followed a few other default flightplans at this airport, and they all flew into the terrain at some point. Is there any way to avoid this? I hate to arrive at Narsarsuaq and see the place littered with crashed ai aircraft.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I had exactly the same problem with my add-on scenery in FS2002. There were large mountains between the two airports. I got around this by manually adding extra way points to avoid the mountains. However, there is a way to stop them crashing into mountains: don't watch them! If you're not flying in the vicinity of the aircraft and not watching it in the CTRL-W window, then they will happily fly straight through the mountains and arrive safely at the destination. I haven't checked, but it's probably the same in FS2004. This makes sense. It would be a waste of resources for FS to check for terrain collisions for lots of aircraft that are miles away and unseen. It's a bit like the old saying: a watched kettle never boils! Best regards, Chris