Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bockscar

Video Card/RAM upgrade

Guest JohnKCMO

Yesterday I went out and upgraded my computer with an ATI Radeon 9600 128mb video card along with a new 512mb memory stick (to bring my memory upto 1GB). After installing the video card and the memory stick, my video card will not work. My computer boots, but no display. Well I put my old video card back in and it worked great. So I thought I had bought a bad video card. I decided to take out the stick and put my new video card back in and it worked perfectly. Does anyone know of any memory limitations with a video card? Does anyone know how to solve this problem?? I do not want to get rid of the 1gb of ram. I called ATI and they said it should work, that they had never heard of this problem before. Any help would be awesome. Thanks.Johnps...my OS is Windows XP

Guest Bigshot

What kind of ram? RDram needs to be installed in pairs. Also, check your motherboard manual to make sure that it accepts a 512mb stick. It's possible too that the stick of ram is bad.

Get the utility here www.memtest86.com and check each module at a time. This is real easy to use. And it works perfectly.Jay

Guest Bockscar

Wierd problem. No, there are no memory limitations or such like that. I have 1 gb and a 9500Pro myself.If not a memory issue it could be a power issue. The addition of the new card and memory can, perhaps, push a system on the edge over whereas one or the other doesn't. The R9X00 cores take a lot of power. Is your power supply 350 watts or better? Nowadays I would say a 400-450 watt PS is ideal.I had an old ABIT BH-6 that simply would not work with higher end video cards. Turns out the onboard power transformer was not giving enough juice to the power rails in the AGP slot to handle the higher transistor counts of the newer boards. Never would work with anything greater than a GF2MX.Here are some other things you can check out. Dunno if anything may work, but worth a look:Check to see that you have the correct RAM (DDR, SDRAM, PC2100, PC2700, etc etc).Did you install it into the correct slot?Take out your old memory chip and put in your new one, does it still work?If you have an NFORCE chipset mb did you install it correctly so that you can use the dual memory channel feature?Did you plug your monitor into the correct VGA port (if your MB has onboard VGA)?Did you check your APG aperature settings? (should be maybe 128 or 256, try both).What kind of MB do you have? Did you check your MB makers web site or a hardware forum that talks about your hardware?Good luck!Scott M.