Sign in to follow this  
micstatic

Sandy Bridge Overclock issues

Hello all,

FunknNasty, you're mixing things here: Real Temp reads the VID, not the Vcore. Use CPU-Z, Speedfan, HWMonitor, etc to monitor Vcore, never Real TempYou can't take any guide as a reference for the amount of Vcore needed for a certain OC. Every chip is different, and every overclocker too. Personally I won't cross the 1.375V line in a 32nm processor, unless Intel green lights somedayBesides, I'm under the impression that not many have run stability tests with the AVX compliant linpack + Win 7 SP1. Vcore and temps both skyrocket with AVX and most current overclocks would fail if not set with a significant Vcore headroom. I can prime blend for 10 hours and 1.326 Vcore but will need 1.368 in linx + AVX. Temps are also up by some 10ºC
Im confused. Are you saying that Method 'A' uses cpu vid for voltages and that method 'B' uses vcore settings? Cuz, CpuZ works with one method and not the other, that's the part where I'm lost ....maybe really lost. :-)....And for reference, the heaviest load I'll use is FSX.With the Clunk method, the CpuZ graphic shows 48x100 with volts, or vid, at 1.35 -I get the same reading with cpuz and hwinfo but Real Temp shows 1.400.With the HardForum method CpuZ, HWinfo32 and Real Temp all report 48x100 as being 1.411.Real Temp, CPUZ and HWinfo32 all follow the HardForum method but not the Clunky. Why?
As Dario says, use the latest version of CPU-Z to read volts. I cant see where RealTemp shows the actual volts. Your 1.42V (CPU-Z?) seems pretty good for 5Ghz. Mine needs 1.45V CPU-Z to be Prime Blend stable. 4.8Ghz shouldnt need more than 1.4 unless you have a poor chip.
I'm using 1.57. Is there a later rev.?Thanx guys

With the Clunk method, the CpuZ graphic shows 48x100 with volts, or vid, at 1.35 -I get the same reading with cpuz and hwinfo but Real Temp shows 1.400.With the HardForum method CpuZ, HWinfo32 and Real Temp all report 48x100 as being 1.411.
Simply because method one suggests a 1.35 Vcore and method two 1.41... you are setting the Vcore, CPU-Z only reads it
Real Temp, CPUZ and HWinfo32 all follow the HardForum method but not the Clunky. Why?
Just ignore Real Temp, it's not reading actual Vcore, it's doing it's own thing once you overclock/overvolt. VID is stock clocks voltage