Sign in to follow this  
Guest acezboy561

Departing Canberra.

Guest Theoddkiwi
Bit of a downer for me reading this thread....being a new orbx customer in all. I dont see the harm in having tips and tweaks others have used to improve the performance of products that are rightfully theres to edit etc...... Yes it is done at the owners risk, which to me should make it okay. Perhaps orbx should open a edit/tweak forum section which clearly indicates that any tweak or tip used will not be supported by orbx if something goes wrong......but I cant see that happening.
The harm is simply that i would rather spend my time making new scenery rather than spending hours on the support forums fixing problems that users create for themselves by tweaking but don't own up to in the support forum. I would hazard a guess that 70% of my support time is spent helping users who have tweaked their installation in one way or another or have a number of other things going on that they neglect mention. And my point above is that the reality is that people ask us to fix their own mess. Its time consuming and very frustrating.The other harm is unfortunately that a number of our items have appeared in a "Other" scenery which is obviously against the EULA. Like most software you have the right to use the product but thats it, you don't have the right to edit it and then redistribute that edit. Even as developers we do not have the right to change core FSX files and redistribute them. We get around this with a back up system which restores the original files. Another developer a couple of years ago had to make last minute changes to their product after it was revealed that it permanently changed core files without any back up or warning that this was taking place.We have a tip and technique forum and a support forum, and as mentioned we have just released a Patch for Canberra with a great response from our customers so far and it adds more detail in the process, something end user tweaks and tips will not achieve.

Fair enough Martin.....I still love the orbx scenery though.....no need for me to edit anything at present. Just my thoughts thats all. Brisbane is very nice by the way, but Im still working out the stutters on the scenery.